• OH
Votes |
Grading to divert water from house

Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Posted Mar 28 2023, 09:04

Hi everyone,

I am closing on this property next week, I noted the inspection report stated that it needs grading, please see screenshot below. Has anyone done grading and if so, does this look like a difficult job? I noted that there are pavements there, looks like I may need to remove the pavements before grading? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Guenther
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Mar 28 2023, 10:15

Hey @Trace P., congrats on the closing! I'm not a contractor by any means but I've been through multiple jobs like this. By the looks of the pictures, it might be a good time to upgrade that walkway and get the grading done properly while you're at it. The most expensive part will be the concrete. I'd reach out to some local contractors that do landscaping and concrete work so you can get it all done in one job. 

Dan Guenther Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 28 2023, 13:06

Doesn't look all that bad to me, but I'm not there. You can't raise the level of the earth against the house so that means you have to lower it away from the house. That can get really expensive....

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • OH
Replied Mar 29 2023, 01:52

Thank you, @Dan Guenther and @Bruce Woodruff for your advice! I hope I don't get any surprises. Yes I plan to get a landscaping contractor to look at it, however I can only do so after owning the house, so was hoping to get some opinions before closing. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Contractors Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Mar 29 2023, 03:46

Looks like the house to the right is higher . Looks to me that the sidewalk  needs to come out and the regraded to the rear . 

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 29 2023, 04:53

It won't be a cheap date. If you're still within your inspection period, get a contractor out there now to get you some estimates. If not, arrange for an exterior walk with a contractor for "planning purposes only."  Consider:

"Labor usually costs about $50 per hour, and permits typically run between $100 and $500. Smaller jobs, like those around pools, patios, or a single side of a home's foundation, may run from $500 to $3,000. However, grading around an entire home is closer to the $3,000 to $5,000 range."  (Source: This Old House)

Article:  note how a level can tell you a whole lot quickly (and for nothing):

https://www.usinspect.com/blog...

Hope this helps...

User Stats

Votes
Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • OH
Replied Mar 29 2023, 08:30

Thank you for the feedback @Matthew Paul and @Patricia Steiner. Yes I actually am factoring $5K to do regrading into my capital investment on this. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 29 2023, 13:29

If it were mine, I'd consider handling that degraded porch edge. plus adding a handrail or two.

If it were mine, and I had to do this, I'd cost out concrete to the foundation with caulk in the joints, because if you zero the concrete to the foundation and it moves--ouch, and if you don't caulk its endless ants and weeds in there. It also gives the pest control a hard surface at the foundation especially important with all those garbage cans (roaches) right up alongside the house.

Here a mockup for you, one with grey foundation and cleaned rocks, and the other white and rocks uncleaned.

That's slip resistant broom finished concrete with smooth edges.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Trace P.
  • Investor
  • OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • OH
Replied Mar 30 2023, 08:39
Quote from @Scott Mac:

If it were mine, I'd consider handling that degraded porch edge. plus adding a handrail or two.

If it were mine, and I had to do this, I'd cost out concrete to the foundation with caulk in the joints, because if you zero the concrete to the foundation and it moves--ouch, and if you don't caulk its endless ants and weeds in there. It also gives the pest control a hard surface at the foundation especially important with all those garbage cans (roaches) right up alongside the house.

Here a mockup for you, one with grey foundation and cleaned rocks, and the other white and rocks uncleaned.

That's slip resistant broom finished concrete with smooth edges.

Good Luck!

WOW!! You did that illustration so beautifully that I thought it was another house! Thank you so much, that actually is a good idea!!! Will definitely explore that!!