Great general contractors in Georgia

4 Replies

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are currently shopping for our first property (for ourselves) in Atlanta.  We are looking at it from an investment perspective and are open to distressed properties that would need work.  That said, neither of us currently know very much about construction work itself.  We are therefore looking for an experienced, reliable, and trustworthy general contractor/inspector who would be able to help us estimate repair costs and put together a scope of work.  Ideally this person would also be able to assist in managing the project itself.  

Would any of you more experienced Atlanta rehabbers be able to refer us to someone?  We would appreciate it.  

"who would be able to help us estimate repair costs and put together a scope of work. Ideally this person would also be able to assist in managing the project itself" 

Sounds to me that what you are looking for is an active partner "contractor" that will do all the thinking and work wile you collect the big fat checks at the Caribbean sipping on fruity drinks.  I have not had the luck of finding this "super general contractor" so far I have been doing all this task my self wile working a full time job. I must be like a dog chasing his own tail.

Originally posted by @Luis Montanez :

"who would be able to help us estimate repair costs and put together a scope of work. Ideally this person would also be able to assist in managing the project itself" 

Sounds to me that what you are looking for is an active partner "contractor" that will do all the thinking and work wile you collect the big fat checks at the Caribbean sipping on fruity drinks.  I have not had the luck of finding this "super general contractor" so far I have been doing all this task my self wile working a full time job. I must be like a dog chasing his own tail.

Thank you for your post Luis.  I don't think what we are looking for is unreasonable.  We expect to get what we work for or pay for.  These are the needs we have, whether it's one person or multiple people.  I would love for any assistance from the experienced rehabbers on this site.  

@Nick Brubaker send me your phone number via messages and I will text you the address and time to meet for a rehab I am working on at zipcode 30066 there I can give you some pointers. 

But IMO the investor needs to become very familiar with 1. renovation cost and 2. what needs to be done to a property to ensure your ROI. 1. You learn by having multiple contractor bid on same project 2. You learn by going to multiple open house in Your farm area to learn what upgrades sell.

If you don't become familiar with this and let your GC do the SOW and make renovation decisions, you are basically asking him to write his own check.  And one bad deal is all it takes to get you out of circulation. Just my 2 cents

These are great tips Luis.  If we decide to flip houses regularly we will certainly educate ourselves on estimating renovation costs and knowing what sells.  At this point though, we are looking for a house for ourselves to move soon (tired of staying with the parents).  We are looking for quality contractors who can offer bids on the project.