• Investor
  • Germantown, WI
Votes |
Tips on finding a good service providers

Nicholas W.
  • Investor
  • Germantown, WI
Posted Apr 27 2016, 18:40

Finding good service providers seems to be a common problem so I thought I'd offer some tips. Although not construction related, I own a lawn care business which is similar when it comes to vetting potential customers. Keep in mind these tips are for finding a GOOD service provider, not necessarily the cheapest service provided.

• When calling do not say "I'm taking bids," instead say "I need some work done." When I hear "taking bids" I check out. Taking bids implies you want the cheapest price, and a good contractor isn't usually cheap.
  • If you were referred by someone, be sure to mention that. A good contractor doesn't want to disappoint a current customer or colleague so they will be more likely to follow up with you and provide you with a fair estimate.
  • Be forth coming with information. Don't call up and ask "what is your hourly rate" without giving any information about the job, where it is or what it entails.
  • Be polite. A good service provider is busy and doesn't need your job. Don't expect them to drop everything and run right over to provide a quote and don't act as if you're doing them a favor by giving them the opportunity to work with you.

Like I said good service providers aren't cheap and cheap service providers aren't good. If you're having trouble finding a good one it might be due to your attitude and dialogue on that initial phone call.

Loading replies...