• Investor
  • chevy chase, MD
Votes |
Contractor I never hired wants payment for Estimate to Insurance

SN S.
  • Investor
  • chevy chase, MD
Posted Aug 27 2016, 16:26

Was using a public adjuster for a claim. He pushed his preferred contractor on me to use. 

I never signed a contract and assumed the public adjuster needed his guy to come up with estimate to submit to my insurance company.

Since he never mentioned a fee for the estimate and part of his job description IS creating the repair estimate, I never gave it a 2nd thought.

I was open to using his contractor and the contractor's design company. But months went by and nothing was set up. The public adjuster and his contractor only came to my house one time to take some photos and measurements.

Finally, the public adjuster's contractor buddy's secretary brought me a few settlement checks to sign.  These were to be sent to my mortgage company to hold. The contractor also asked to me to sign their contract.

I looked it over carefully and it set off so many red flags.

Improper notice required by state (penalties involved for failing to add proper notice)

Missing separate form to cancel as required by state.

The final price stated TBD. Just a myriad of things wrong with it.

I looked further into the contractor's actual corporation and it just seems shady. Half the owners live in another continent even. 

And since nothing was ever started or agreed to , I sent a letter of rejection to the contractor.

Public Adjuster his the ceiling and tried to use emotional tactics to make me feel bad. Said the contractor put a huge amount of time and effort into the estimate. Said I should give him money.

Didn't state how much though. 

After this outburst I decided     

Loading replies...