• Hartford, WI
Votes |
Handyman In Wisconsin

Jared Baker
Pro Member
  • Hartford, WI
Posted Jan 15 2018, 06:42

Hello BP!

I recently started a new job and I am looking to possibly partner with my uncle to purchase a duplex this year. Our goal is to find a duplex that is in need of repair so we can add value to create a nice ARV. As such, the agreement will be that he puts up the capital and I put up my time and energy to fix up the building. Seems like a good plan so far right?

So, I have helped my dad remodel his house, helping with maintenance, doing repairs, helped close in the front porch, and built a new porch on the back of the house.  In addition I also helped him build a 100'x30' shed.  So with all of that I have a fair deal of knowledge on how to do things and have access to the resources to figure out how to do the things I don't.  

So before we find the ideal property I figure there will be possibly 4-10 months before we find something that will fit what we are looking for.  So in this time I want to start a handyman business.  My plan is to take smaller jobs(that should be obvious) but wont actually make any money.  I want to use maybe the first dozen jobs or so as free labor for the customer.  So I would do the work, get the experience, and the customer would just pay for materials.  I think this would get me a good foundation to be able to then figure out what I would have to charge later on and give the experience to make the best choices when fixing up the duplex that I purchase.  

So with all of that said, here is my question.  In Wisconsin what are the legal requirements for a handyman?  I have seen some states require that you have a licenses, so don't require it, some put a limit on how big a job you can accept, or how you advertise.  So here in Wisconsin what license or paperwork do I need so I don't get fined or huge tickets and where can I find that information?  I spent most of my weekend combing the internet to see what I could find for Wisconsin but I can't seem to find anything.  Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks!