Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Cody McCarty
Votes |
Felt Weird Listening to Ed Mylett Episode

Cody McCarty
Posted Jan 17 2021, 20:25

To start, I’m not someone that can take their thoughts and feelings and convey them in a helpful way. Literally last week my wife asked how I felt about something and I said I got the same good feeling I got another time and I can’t describe it but I felt good in my chest. So yeah, maybe someone can help me here.

But as I was listening to episode 433 it felt gross (?) hearing them talk about wealth and success that way. For some personal context, I was driving back from a remote lake house deal and was passing mobile home after mobile home of some of the poorest Americans I know. Many working much harder than I ever will by nature of my privilege.

And as I’m driving past these people and these homes I’m hearing rich white guys talk about how generous and kind and peaceful their other rich friends are. And how success changes you to become a better person. And it just didn’t sit right.

I get the names of the guys confused so I apologize but at one point the guy that use to be a cop says “frankly you want what that person has and you didn’t want to have to go through the work”. Which I felt was so demeaning to so many people haha. I’m so proud of him and his ability to get to the level of financial success he has had but the idea that hard work = prosperity in the binary way it was presented seems like an opinion of the privileged. All of this hard work talk was made pretty ironic when moments later the Ed talked about helping his 18-year-old son complete his first deal. I have no doubt that Ed’s son did a lot of hard work to make that deal happen. But already Ed’s son has more wealth and career success than some of those people I passed in those homes will ever have in their lives.

Maybe I’m alone in this feeling and maybe no one will read this or maybe a bunch of people will fire back with wise questions or quick statements that I can’t have good responses to. But that’s how I felt and I debated not sharing anything but that felt worse than listening and not saying anything. All-in-all I would just hope to spur this show I like to speak with gentleness, wisdom and humility and gives great value to all people. And I hope we listen with grace. Thanks for the show guys. 

Loading replies...