Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements

User Stats

Votes
Noah Bacon
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Community Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
What Phase are you in on the SMARTER way to invest in Real Estate?

Noah Bacon
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Community Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
ModeratorPosted May 16 2023, 13:51

It may be difficulty to identify what stage you're at in your investing career, especially early on! Have you heard of The SMARTER way to invest in Real Estate? 

BiggerPockets has broken down the 7 SMARTER phases of Real Estate investing and we are interested to see what stage you are in! Please post a reply below to see if any other members of the community are in the same phase as you!

Strategy Phase
Market Phase
Acquisition Phase
Rehab/Rent Phase
Tracking Phase
Exit Phase
Repeat Phase
What are the SMARTER Phases? Tell me more!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 16 2023, 19:26

Beginner, and trying to work up the courage to trust myself to take the next step! Idk why I’m so nervous, I’ve done an obscene amount of research. I’m ready for this! I think it’s going too complete my dreams. 

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied May 16 2023, 20:41

I guess I'm in all the stages. Several projects going and looking for more.

but if the 7 stages are geared towards a beginner doing their first deal then that makes a lot of sense.  That's what the stages were for me at the beginning too!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Pinkham
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 17 2023, 11:16

Finally getting into the market phase! Newbie investor who is mostly trying to figure out if I want to invest locally in Phoenix or out of state like Missouri or Kansas (where I grew up so I know the areas well.) 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied May 18 2023, 07:13

Exit.  It's been real and it's been fun, but not always real fun.  

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2023, 07:47

I'm excited to enter the acquisition phase for our first fix and flip!

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • New Hampshire
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Hampshire
Replied May 18 2023, 08:33
Still Purchasing properties to flip but I'm taking my foot off the gas somewhat due to interest rates. In a perfect world I will close on my next deal after the debt ceiling is settled and rates will hopefully tick down over the summer.

Eventually I want to pick up or build more to hold for the portfolio.

To answer your question a cautious combo of Acquisition/Exit/Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Phong Vo
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange County, CA
Replied May 18 2023, 10:18

I am still a beginner. I am probably in the strategy phase, and looking to learn and gain more experience in this most effective method of building wealth. Still working on overcoming my nervousness of using leverage for funding deals.

User Stats

Votes
Blanca Roberts
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied May 18 2023, 11:49

Beginner. Trying to get our first deal to buy and hold. Analyzing deals off of the MLS but not succeeding.

User Stats

Votes
Chaelynne Hernandez
  • Knoxville
Votes |

I'm in the Rehab / Rent Phase of my 1st rental.  Rehab has pretty much commenced here in May.  Currently listed on Furnished Finder / Zillow / Facebook / Craigslist for 30 day+ rental.  Getting quite a few "tire kickers" inquiring but have not advanced to the next Renter Phase of Application and Screening.  

User Stats

Votes
Fouad Hajji
  • Oahu, HI
Votes |
  • Oahu, HI
Replied May 18 2023, 20:58

Breaking-the-analysis-paralysis-cycle phase.  After listening to biggerpockets for 3 years, here I am writing my first post and finally analyzing deals to get my reps in.  I'm screenshotting this and hopefully in 5, 10 or 15 years from now, I will have it framed on my wall as memory of where it all started. Fingers crossed.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Hieber
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 19 2023, 04:45

Im in the 'clean-up' phase. Have 14 doors but my systems have been missing or a mess for a long time. Thanks to BP podcast(started at episode 1) I'm separating accounts, finding my team, fixing whats broken, upgrading and improving all facets.  Its a deep hole and will take some time to get on the right track.   

User Stats

Votes
Kiara Colon
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied May 19 2023, 11:01

I'm still in the acquisition phase, as I only have one 4-unit property in my RE portfolio (besides my primary residence). However, i'm rehab/rent for the property that I own as well.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Fleming
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 19 2023, 22:46

I am currently in the strategize phase of the cycle and loving it. I have been exploring the website and finding so many helpful things like the rental property calculator, and the additional resources like Invelo! My current question: which is better... to click every link as I go through the SMARTER articles or to stick only to the articles directly laid out. What is the approach you guys take?

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied May 20 2023, 06:27

I am currently in the stunned phase.  I'm stunned at the lack of activity in transactions.  

User Stats

Votes
Todd Knudson
  • Houston
Votes |
  • Houston
Replied May 20 2023, 12:05
Quote from @Blanca Roberts:

Beginner. Trying to get our first deal to buy and hold. Analyzing deals off of the MLS but not succeeding.

Hard to find deals on the MLS these days. they are out there don't give up. also look for off markey deals.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied May 20 2023, 18:03

I'm on the bespoke phase

User Stats

Votes
Joe Scaparra
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 21 2023, 14:13

I'm in the Rehab / Rent Phase but a better description would  be Maintaining Phase.  

I have my portfolio of 19 units, semi-retired, living the dream with my passive income.  Cheers.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 22 2023, 07:09
Quote from @Noah Bacon:

It may be difficulty to identify what stage you're at in your investing career, especially early on! Have you heard of The SMARTER way to invest in Real Estate? 

BiggerPockets has broken down the 7 SMARTER phases of Real Estate investing and we are interested to see what stage you are in! Please post a reply below to see if any other members of the community are in the same phase as you!

The "smartest" way to invest for each individual is different depending on circumstances. Location and  pricing are what I always fall back on to determine if I should make an offer or let it sit on  the market & hope no one else makes an offer. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 2 2023, 12:42

No longer buying.  Passively managing.  Living a retired life off rent

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 13 2023, 10:51

beginning phase, building up capital while improving my knowledge in real estate. Looking into seeing the numbers i get for a line of credit for my house that i am residing in right now, if those numbers are good. i will begin lookin into the market. How do you guys decide which area's to look into?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 17 2023, 22:45

I am actually in my second flip and I'll keep buying 1 or 2 sfh per year.