• London
Votes |
Feature request

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:52

Josh & others,

I would like to see the BP site software modified so that there is more 'state' kept. By that I mean I want BP to know what I have actually viewed. I would also like to be able to mark a thread as unread as a way to remind myself to read it later.

Right now the site tracks the time and date of my last login. If I happen to come to the BP site to pick up a PM that has arrived the site thinks I have read all the new topics since the last login. Even if I read nothing other than 1 PM everything is flagged. Once I log out I do not have a great way to find what is new that I have no read independent of when it was posted vs. my login.

Note also that if you are actively reading different threads and then something comes up you have the same issue. Assuming the distraction is long enough that the auto-logout kicks you end up with the same issue as above.

So, can we have the site modified to remember a user's activity and not just when they last on logged into the site?

John Corey

PS. I have no direct knowledge of the impact of such a change. On some sites it would be no more than a flip of a bit while on other sites it would require a code re-write.

PPS. Many of my ideas in this direction revolve around the idea of a user home page or a more active profile so that you can see who replied to your comments, where you can flag individuals as someone to follow or someone to ignore, etc. A BiggerPockets for me so that each person gets a more personalized experience. As I noted above some other sites can do this while there are some that can not. My Yahoo, The Motley Fool, and Google all have implemented some of the concept.

Loading replies...