Request: Better search functionality

5 Replies

BP is a great resource that I am relying on more and more for direction on many questions.

I have noticed recently that when searching for a topic like lending (not purchasing) with an IRA, I get hundreds of results with the vast majority totally unrelated to my specific question. Moreover, the "Related Forum Discussions" suggestions are never even close to my topic. (For example, on this one I get "Thoughts on moderation functionality," "Automating my processes to streamline management," and "Commercial blanket loans for SFHs")

Because of the poor search functionality, we get dozens, if not hundreds of redundant posts, making BP less, not more, effective as a tool.

Is there anything in the works to improve this?

Many thanks and keep up the good work!

Bigger Pockets is becoming the Google for real estate investors.   

I get the same issue when I search for an answer that I am looking for.   The best thing I can tell you is to go through the thread.   You will eventually find the answer you are looking for.  

Good Luck

You can use google to search the site.  Include "site:biggerpockets.com" in the search string on google and it will limit the search to just biggerpockets.com.

In case you're wondering, I usually do exactly as @Jon Holdman  just described by using Google to search BP, except I add "/forums" to the site part so I just get forum results. 

Search is REALLY hard.  Google does it well and that's why they're the big dog.  I try the built in function first, but if I don't quickly find what I'm looking for I jump over to google and use the site: operator and usually find what I'm looking for.  Not just biggerpockets, but in general.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.