User Name Not Long Enough

14 Replies

Hi Administrator,
I had an account with biggerpockets.com for a little while now. When you launched the new forum/profiles I can not use my existing user name. It says That it is too long "ExpertHomeOffers".

So none of my old or new posts lead to my profile.

Can you help.
Thanks,

Usernames are limited to 15 characters. Please let me know what you'd like to change your username to (15 chars or less) and we can get you up and running here.

Having a software background I am surprised that anyone builds software these days that has limits on the length of strings. There are many technical ways to remove the issue.

There could be a business reason (avoidance of strings that are really ads). That is a different issue and not a technical limit.

Lets see what Josh can tell us about why the limit exists.

There is a 15 character limit because that is what we set it at.

Having a software background I am surprised that anyone builds software these days that has limits on the length of strings. There are many technical ways to remove the issue.

I guess we're still surprising you, John.

Originally posted by "biggerpo":
There is a 15 character limit because that is what we set it at.

I guess we're still surprising you, John.

Josh,

Surprised if it is anything other than a business decision. There is no technical reason that will stand up.

What is the business advantage?

Hey Ray -
PM me with the current account and let me know about the old one. We'll link them up for you.

As for our decision to limit usernames, it is actually because of template issues.

John - If you want to discuss our business model or strategies, feel free to PM me and we can discuss. I don't have the time, nor the need to answer every question of yours regarding our every decision for each feature on the site.

We've talked about this in the past.

Sometimes you just need to learn to take things for what they are, and move on with your life.

That is what is weird. I can only log in if I use ExpertHomeOffer.

So my user name only has 15 letter.

But when I post my name shows up as ExpertHomeOffers.

I have no issue with using my new user name that has 15 letters. I would just like it if my profile worked and If I could keep my hitory of posts.

I was just thinking about this. I agree with Josh that since it is his site and he works his tail off he has no need to explain it.

I will offer this though. I content that many people will want to at least use their names as their ID.

I started thinking if I knew of anyone that had 15 letters in their names. Turns out I do. THe WCRT has over 400 members, actually 419 right now. Of that, 71 of them have names that are over 15 characters in their name, NOT INCLUDING a space, dash, or underscore between the names.

Just food for thought guys!

Keep on keeping it Bigger Pockets!

Originally posted by "OGStilts":
I think Josh explained that you are limited to 15 letters as I see it you have 16 in your name. Adjust your name length and he will fix it as he stated in his message.

It seems you misunderstood the problem. His active ID is 15 characters while the profile shows 16. A housekeeping issue from the change over appears to be more accurate.

I am sure Josh can have someone look at it so that the two match.

Originally posted by "ExpertHomeOffer":
still no reply????
I guess I'm just one member out of many so I don't matter :<

You definitely matter, as do all the others. Sometimes, we get focused on other things and lose our way. I didn't get back to you and a few others who were having account issues, but hopefully we've been able to get everyone taken care of now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here