• Real Estate Investor
  • London
Votes |
Profile clean up

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:47

I was finishing the clean up of my profile post the switch over from the old system.

Before explaining the error I ran into a comment about some other profiles people have active.

I have noticed that a number of profiles are poorly formatted. Too much white space. I figured it was because of the way people where editing their profile. Word pasted into the website or similar things can result in extra spacing.

Back to me.

When I edited my profile i was very careful not to put in extra carriage returns as i did not want large gaps between paragraphs. When I hit the update button everything looked fine. Then I moved to the next 'tab' or 'category' to update info there.

What I found was after you hit the update button extra spacing is added to the text in the text boxes where you enter things. It is not even line feeds. These are real spaces. If you save/update more than once the extra spacing is increased. Each save adds more spaces. No only does this make the profiles harder to read it is a bunch of unneeded characters being saved on the server.

If a fix could be made that would be great.

In the mean time a person editing their profile needs to be very careful. If they are the result will look fine. They just need to delete the extra spaces each and every time they change something or do an update.

Once a fix is rolled out people an announcement should be made so people who do have a bit of a problem with their existing profiles can then go back and clean things up.

Given the number of profiles that appear with extra spacing implies the issue is not specific to a browser/operating system combination. Just in case it is unique I offer my system details.

Mac, OSX - 10.4.11 (Tiger), Safari 3.0.4

Please continue the roll out of the Social Networking BP site. It is a great step forward and I want to see it continue to improve. Hence the time I am putting in documenting feedback, bugs and suggestions.

Loading replies...