Votes
Avery Robertson
  • Shelley, ID
Votes |
Raising Rents Best Practice

Avery Robertson
  • Shelley, ID
Posted Jan 15 2022, 19:36

I’m making an offer on a park that has under market rents currently. What are some best practices for increasing rents after taking ownership?

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Jan 15 2022, 19:38

Make improvements to the community before you raise so they see you are making it a better place to live which is what they are paying for. 

User Stats

Votes
Clark Love
  • Investor
  • Oxford, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oxford, MS
Replied Jan 17 2022, 11:48

I agree with Mario.  Making some improvements (especially those that are readily visible) really softens the blow of a rent increase.  Also, the magnitude of the increase matters a lot.  if you are talking about a less than $50 a month increase, you probably don't have anything to worry about -  just move ahead.  Additionally, check the rent roll closely to see if you have any investors that own units in the Park you are buying.  If you do and they own more than one unit, expect to get some grief and possibly some major pushback.  If an investor owns numerous units, you need to have a detailed conversation with them - don't just send them a rent increase notice.  The only time I have ever had a problem with price increases is with investors that own the MH's and rent them out. I hope this helps.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
  • Summerville, SC
Replied Jan 17 2022, 13:49

I agree with the previous sentiment, with the exception of the commentary on investors.  In one of my Parks, I've had the opposite experience- investors are actually more resilient to LR increases than the regular tenants.

In my opinion, it's the "lifer" tenants you inherit who typically complain the most about LR increases (and many other things!).  Upon purchase several years ago, a decade-long tenant actually complained about us installing neighboring lighting - a community improvement.  I guess sometimes you just can't please everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Avery Robertson
  • Shelley, ID
Votes |
  • Shelley, ID
Replied Jan 19 2022, 19:31

Thanks everyone! Great info