Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
Adam R.
Votes |
Input on a difficult valuation

Adam R.
Posted Nov 3 2022, 16:13

I am looking at a park that is only 35% occupied. The seller is proposing a sale price based on what they believe the replacement value to be, which is very far off from a valuation based on cap rate. I believe there is a lot of upside to the park after significant capital is invested to bring in new homes and make the other needed repairs. Does anyone have a view on how to value this park? 

User Stats

Votes
Frank Rolfe#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ste. Genevieve, MO
Votes |
Frank Rolfe#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ste. Genevieve, MO
Replied Nov 3 2022, 16:46

I have never seen this park but it would have to have a phenomenal location to make it worth going forward. You can only pay an amount that is supported by the ability to cover the mortgage, so you have to see what the true NOI is at 35% occupancy and that's your budget. If the seller wants to carry paper at some low interest rate or no payment due until you increase rents, that's fine. But replacement value on a park like that is of no value as far as what you can pay.

The big problem is: how are you going to fill the lots? New mobile homes are now costing $60,000 to $80,000 installed and used ones 1/2 of that. While you can buy a park at 80% occupancy and fill it over time, when you are at 35% occupancy you have to get to 80% before a lender will even look at it, and you are under the gun until you achieve that.

The bottom line is BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS DEAL. Any park that is less than 50% occupied (and we've done a ton of those deals over the past 25 years) is an extremely dangerous turn-around and will require a huge amount of capital and experience.

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Nov 3 2022, 19:57

Pass on it. Buy something that has opportunities to add value operationally and not such a heavy infill. Infilling communities is profitable but is also the slowest, capital intense, and risky way to add value. 

New Western logo
New Western
|
Sponsored
Exclusive Off-Market Properties For Your Investment Strategies The Largest Private Source of Investment Properties In The Nation. Find Your Next Rehab Project

User Stats

Votes
Adam R.
Votes |
Replied Nov 4 2022, 07:40

@Frank Rolfe thank you for the response.  The podcast has been very helpful, and I am looking forward to next weekend's boot camp.  

User Stats

Votes
Adam R.
Votes |
Replied Nov 4 2022, 07:41

@Mario Dattilo Thank you Mario.  Appreciate the insight on time and risk with this deal.