Votes
Brett Chupka
Pro Member
Votes |
MHP Analysis Common Mistakes

Brett Chupka
Pro Member
Posted Dec 14 2022, 18:38

Hi everyone, I only recently started looking into mobile home parks but I've found a deal that has not hit the market yet and it almost seems like it's too good to be true. It's also 10 minutes from the house I grew up in where I still have a ton of connections. 

My question is what are some common miscalculations that you've heard of or done yourself when analyzing a MHP? 

A little background, the park is 20 pads on well water and public sewer. There are 4 financed homes and 2 vacant pads. Numbers are okay as-is. The water and sewer are all baked into the rent right now which is a little below market from what I'm finding. If I metered each pad the property should run with a nice monthly cash flow. I'm finding somewhere near a 10 cap. 

I've got the operating costs from this past year. I don't think on-site management is necessary. The maintenance cost I ran at $12k/yr which I could see being more but doesn't seem like it is wildly off. What else should I be calculating for? 

Any insight would be really appreciated! Thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Dec 14 2022, 19:11

Something this small will likely be running at about 50% expenses. Make sure you’re only valuing the cash flow from the lot rent and not home rent if any are rentals. Check out my profile for some more resources to help kick off your MHP investing. Hope this helps. 

User Stats

Votes
Brett Chupka
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 15 2022, 10:16

@Mario Dattilo, I'll definitely dive into your profile later, thanks for the content.

Why do you say that about the 50% expenses? You're not far off, roughly $45k for expenses and $110k for income. The $45k does include the current water and sewer costs so without that it would drop to about $25k. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Dec 15 2022, 20:09

MHPs of that size normally run a bit higher (%) on expenses than larger ones. In simple terms the plumbing break costs $3k to fix at both parks but it impacts the small one a lot more than the larger. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2023, 16:31

Be careful on well & reserve appropriately. If you want more details, reach out & I'll fill you in on what to look out for there.