Votes |
Converting an MHP to an RV park

Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Posted Dec 29 2022, 19:55

Hello,

Has anybody successfully converted a MHP to an RV park. County is forcing us to shut down and I’m looking for options. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Dec 30 2022, 06:58
Quote from @Sean Hayes:

Hello,

Has anybody successfully converted a MHP to an RV park. County is forcing us to shut down and I’m looking for options. 

Will they allow you change it to an RV park? 

I've never converted one but I have build a few RV parks. It shouldn't be that hard but that depends on why they are shutting you down. If it's because of infrastructure (like septic for instance) then you may have to hire an environmental company to come and clean up. That's not cheap. If it's because of a bad element living there, they may not let you convert. Ann RV park that is not taken care of can get just as bad as a MHP that's not taken care of. 

I'll help any way I can with your questions. Let us know how it goes. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2023, 16:30

County is shutting you down? First thought if you want to keep it as a MHP, is hire an attorney. If it's grandfathered into the city/county & affordable housing, I'm not sure that's allowed. Again, depending on the state. I own a MHP that is not zoned appropriately, however it's grandfathered and affordable housing so we are good. Curious as to the issues. Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Corbin Marcotte
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jan 30 2023, 07:09
Quote from @Mike Reynolds:
Quote from @Sean Hayes:

Hello,

I've never converted one but I have build a few RV parks. It shouldn't be that hard but that depends on why they are shutting you down. If it's because of infrastructure (like septic for instance) then you may have to hire an environmental company to come and clean up. That's not cheap. If it's because of a bad element living there, they may not let you convert. Ann RV park that is not taken care of can get just as bad as a MHP that's not taken care of. 

Hey Mike, I am currently buying an RV park that was converted from a MHP. It used to be on well water and is now hooked up to city. I believe the current owner who ran the new water lines put in to small of lines because there is insufficient water pressure. There are 38 hook ups. What size is the main water line you run to your hookups? is there a good way of figuring this? 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Jan 31 2023, 08:56
Quote from @Corbin Marcotte:
Quote from @Sean Hayes:

Hello,

Hey Mike, I am currently buying an RV park that was converted from a MHP. It used to be on well water and is now hooked up to city. I believe the current owner who ran the new water lines put in to small of lines because there is insufficient water pressure. There are 38 hook ups. What size is the main water line you run to your hookups? is there a good way of figuring this? 

This is really a licensed plumber question but I've never seen less than 1 1/4" pipe. The reason you should ask your plumber is because there could be several issues at fault. The lines could be big enough but have blockage. It could be too small. It could also be a pressure problem due to higher elevation from the source. 

I have one place that is city water but the property is 300 foot above the main line. I had to run a 2 1/2" pipe for volume but it was only 5 pounds pressure at he top. From there it goes into a potable holding tank and gravity feeds into a pressure pump. The pressure pump then feeds the property. 

What size line is there now?

User Stats

Votes
Corbin Marcotte
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Jan 31 2023, 09:17

That is great information. Thank you! I am not totally sure what it is now but I think it is 1" so I am presuming I am going to have to rerun the whole loop. That also makes sense because there is 2 elevations to the park and the line has decent pressure on the low end but on the upper end has very low pressure. I think In order for me to move forward I will just have to plan on running 2" minimum and maybe adding a pressure pump. This park is in a rural area on a lake and is in a prime location but there is literally like 1-2 plumbers that work the area and already told me some things that aren't congruent with the things I know from working with good plumbers in the Tulsa area. The owner ran all new pex lines a couple years ago so I don"t think they would have any blockage or anything probably just did it wrong from the get go. Looking at 2" PEX it is pretty pricy. Do you use PEX for that or is there another material you use for the main line going in? 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Feb 3 2023, 17:37
Quote from @Corbin Marcotte:

That is great information. Thank you! I am not totally sure what it is now but I think it is 1" so I am presuming I am going to have to rerun the whole loop. That also makes sense because there is 2 elevations to the park and the line has decent pressure on the low end but on the upper end has very low pressure. I think In order for me to move forward I will just have to plan on running 2" minimum and maybe adding a pressure pump. This park is in a rural area on a lake and is in a prime location but there is literally like 1-2 plumbers that work the area and already told me some things that aren't congruent with the things I know from working with good plumbers in the Tulsa area. The owner ran all new pex lines a couple years ago so I don"t think they would have any blockage or anything probably just did it wrong from the get go. Looking at 2" PEX it is pretty pricy. Do you use PEX for that or is there another material you use for the main line going in? 

The one I have now is schedule 40 but I'm about to rerun another place in PEX. 

Sounds like a pressure issue to me. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Replied Feb 23 2023, 06:08
Quote from @Sean Hayes:

Hello,

The county is actully pushing for an RV park since this would be the only one and we are only 20 minutes from the UGA stadium so it would bring in a ton of revenue for the county, 

User Stats

Votes
Sean Hayes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Athens, GA
Replied Feb 23 2023, 06:10
Quote from @Kelly Cook:

County is shutting you down? First thought if you want to keep it as a MHP, is hire an attorney. If it's grandfathered into the city/county & affordable housing, I'm not sure that's allowed. Again, depending on the state. I own a MHP that is not zoned appropriately, however it's grandfathered and affordable housing so we are good. Curious as to the issues. Thanks!

Hello, Unfortunately the county has kept up the game of  shutting us down at every corner. From a cost standpoint it's cheaper to demolish and turn it into an rv park than try to fight to remodel a bunch of 1970s mobile homes.