• Provo, UT
Votes |
Onsite Handyman in Mobile Home Parks

Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Posted Jan 16 2024, 12:37

There is a universal rule that you get a handyman from the last owner whenever you purchase a mobile home park. I have had a wide variety of outcomes but I want to give a few warnings from my experience.

1. Don't reduce rent, charge full rent, and pay them outside of the rent.

2. Set clear expectations, when the work will be completed, how often they do it, and what is the compensation.

3. They're not an employee and have no guarantee of work.

4. Avoid using someone who is not licensed or insured.

I have had a few handyman work great and many more that did not work out.

User Stats

Votes
Aman S.
  • Investor
  • South Riding, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • South Riding, VA
Replied Jan 16 2024, 17:23

I am evicting the handyman from the last owner, my first-ever eviction in the park I owned for more than 5 years. Made all 4 above-mentioned mistakes. Pay them outside the rent, clear responsibilities list, and proper documentation, send them the accounting ledger monthly, and always ask someone else to verify the work. 

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 17 2024, 09:41
Quote from @Aman S.:

I am evicting the handyman from the last owner, my first-ever eviction in the park I owned for more than 5 years. Made all 4 above-mentioned mistakes. Pay them outside the rent, clear responsibilities list, and proper documentation, send them the accounting ledger monthly, and always ask someone else to verify the work. 

They are always surprised when you start charging full rent. I also love when they just start trying to bill you for prior authorized work under the last owner, I have some great stories.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
  • Summerville, SC
Replied Jan 17 2024, 10:32

Also sounds like a "side dish" of the inherited tenant on top of them being a handyman.  Some tenants (not all) from the prior ownership can be a challenge.  And out of the ones who are a challenge, the longer they've been there the more challenging they can be.  Yes, this handyman's expectations appear to be based off his experience with the prior owner.  Not always a good thing.

We had a tenant who used to get a reduction in their lot rent (from prior ownership) in exchange for filling pot holes in the Park's gravel road.  When we took over, we quickly discontinued that "arrangement" as we foresaw all kinds of scenarios.  This included: not performing the work, having to fight with them over what is acceptable job completion, and overall having to babysit the whole thing.  Not worth it.  So, we opted out.  

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 17 2024, 10:38
Quote from @Dave Rav:

Also sounds like a "side dish" of the inherited tenant on top of them being a handyman.  Some tenants (not all) from the prior ownership can be a challenge.  And out of the ones who are a challenge, the longer they've been there the more challenging they can be.  Yes, this handyman's expectations appear to be based off his experience with the prior owner.  Not always a good thing.

We had a tenant who used to get a reduction in their lot rent (from prior ownership) in exchange for filling pot holes in the Park's gravel road.  When we took over, we quickly discontinued that "arrangement" as we foresaw all kinds of scenarios.  This included: not performing the work, having to fight with them over what is acceptable job completion, and overall having to babysit the whole thing.  Not worth it.  So, we opted out.  

Good move

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2024, 05:45

I have all three versions throughout our parks- free rent, partial rent and a W2 employee.   Each park's situation dictates the need.  Our W2 maintanance manager is paid very well but is tasked with maintaining 14 POHs and overall care of the park.  We have honest conversations about his compensation and how it fits into this park's financials.  

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 24 2024, 08:00
Quote from @Roger D Jones:

I have all three versions throughout our parks- free rent, partial rent and a W2 employee.   Each park's situation dictates the need.  Our W2 maintanance manager is paid very well but is tasked with maintaining 14 POHs and overall care of the park.  We have honest conversations about his compensation and how it fits into this park's financials.  

Can you go into details on this? I would love to hear about the breakdown.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2024, 09:42
Quote from @Logan M.:

Well... we have three parks.  11 space long term RV park, a 28 space all TOH park and a 20 (soon to be 22) space mixed park with 7 TOH and 13 POH rentals.  The 11 space RV park has a manager on site with free pad rental.  The 28 space TOH park has a resident manager who gets $200 off his rent monthly.  On the 20 space mixed park given we own 13 homes we have a W2 hourly maintenance manager who we have at 24 hours per week.  He handles all plumbing, 90% of HVAC, most electrical and all structural repairs.  

With the 13 rentals we get over double the cash flow over our TOH space rentals and we are committed to keeping our POH rentals in top condition.  All maintenance requests are requested through our park website and are handled immediately.  We compensate him very well with a great hourly wage, OT after 6 and weekends, paid vacations, 8 paid holidays and a year-end park performance-based bonus.  Even with this labor expense these 13 sites way over perform our 7 TOH sites on cash flow.

Now I know many on here will think I am crazy to do this but here's the rub.  The park is in a very rural near a couple small towns.  If I need a plumbing, electrical or HVAC repair... I am week's out when and if they ever decide to return my call.   That is not going to work for our tenants who are paying $1000 a month to rent from us.  And more importantly I don't want any phone calls at 1130 at night over a broken water pipe.  

The park is financially strong and performs well.  My wife and I also own an accounting firm and it too does well.  For both enterprises we pay our employees well and we share our success.  

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Jan 24 2024, 10:43
Quote from @Logan M.:

Well... we have three parks.  11 space long term RV park, a 28 space all TOH park and a 20 (soon to be 22) space mixed park with 7 TOH and 13 POH rentals.  The 11 space RV park has a manager on site with free pad rental.  The 28 space TOH park has a resident manager who gets $200 off his rent monthly.  On the 20 space mixed park given we own 13 homes we have a W2 hourly maintenance manager who we have at 24 hours per week.  He handles all plumbing, 90% of HVAC, most electrical and all structural repairs.  

With the 13 rentals we get over double the cash flow over our TOH space rentals and we are committed to keeping our POH rentals in top condition.  All maintenance requests are requested through our park website and are handled immediately.  We compensate him very well with a great hourly wage, OT after 6 and weekends, paid vacations, 8 paid holidays and a year-end park performance-based bonus.  Even with this labor expense these 13 sites way over perform our 7 TOH sites on cash flow.

Now I know many on here will think I am crazy to do this but here's the rub.  The park is in a very rural near a couple small towns.  If I need a plumbing, electrical or HVAC repair... I am week's out when and if they ever decide to return my call.   That is not going to work for our tenants who are paying $1000 a month to rent from us.  And more importantly I don't want any phone calls at 1130 at night over a broken water pipe.  

The park is financially strong and performs well.  My wife and I also own an accounting firm and it too does well.  For both enterprises we pay our employees well and we share our success.  

I agree with you and I think there are plenty of opportunities to create a win-win for everyone. Finding the right people is the most difficult part but when you find them you need to take care of them.