User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
What would our founding fathers link of Mobile Home Parks?

Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Posted Feb 19 2024, 11:35

What would our founding fathers think of mobile home parks

Would they look at them in a positive light, representing opportunity and upward mobility or would they look at them as a tragedy?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 12:15

That is a really fascinating question, Logan. Appreciating it as a student of the Constitution and as a former trailer park resident.

it might depend on which specific individual were talking about, but most of the founding fathers supported the idea of the common person being able to have a decent life with a little property ownership. Trailer parks are a weird mix, because people own the building but rent the land. Jefferson always idealized the yeoman farmer. In the sense that trailers provide low-income people with the possibility to be self-sufficient and at least some asset ownership, I think he would favor them. On the other hand, to the extent that they are places where people stagnate and go backwards instead of forwards, I think the founding fathers would not be pleased.

Hamilton probably would have had a low opinion of them either way. 😀

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 19 2024, 18:41

That is a very complicated hypothetical.  We do know that per capita income in the colonies was far better here than in England.  We also know that prior to the industrial revolution that individual wealth was driven by property ownership and that the cost of building a home was far less in real dollars than it is now.  To have a home you had to have property and if you were going to build a home it was usually a very nice home.  Those too poor to own property usually lived on the property  of others in shelters provided/rented or lived in rooms rented in the cities. 

Property drove personal wealth- hence the migration west during the 1850s.  It wasn't some great job with matching 401ks that put families into covered wagons just to fight native Americans... it was dream of property ownership.  I don't even think mortgages existed at that time.  

How that relates to a Founding Father's interpretation of a mobile home park is hard to say.  I would imagine they would look at it and ask why would anyone rent a tiny piece of land that barely has space for a home. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 20 2024, 06:59

@Logan M. nothing but positive! Some of the parks I've been in have some of the hardest working, most patriotic Americans I've ever met

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Feb 20 2024, 07:46
Quote from @Dave Kush:

That is a really fascinating question, Logan. Appreciating it as a student of the Constitution and as a former trailer park resident.

it might depend on which specific individual were talking about, but most of the founding fathers supported the idea of the common person being able to have a decent life with a little property ownership. Trailer parks are a weird mix, because people own the building but rent the land. Jefferson always idealized the yeoman farmer. In the sense that trailers provide low-income people with the possibility to be self-sufficient and at least some asset ownership, I think he would favor them. On the other hand, to the extent that they are places where people stagnate and go backwards instead of forwards, I think the founding fathers would not be pleased.

Hamilton probably would have had a low opinion of them either way. 😀

I love your reply and feel like you would be accurate, it just depends on which Founding Fathers.

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Feb 20 2024, 07:47
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Logan M. nothing but positive! Some of the parks I've been in have some of the hardest working, most patriotic Americans I've ever met

I love this and it is true. I also wonder if they would look at capitalism as creating the parks which creates more affordable housing.

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Feb 20 2024, 07:48
Quote from @Roger D Jones:

That is a very complicated hypothetical.  We do know that per capita income in the colonies was far better here than in England.  We also know that prior to the industrial revolution that individual wealth was driven by property ownership and that the cost of building a home was far less in real dollars than it is now.  To have a home you had to have property and if you were going to build a home it was usually a very nice home.  Those too poor to own property usually lived on the property  of others in shelters provided/rented or lived in rooms rented in the cities. 

Property drove personal wealth- hence the migration west during the 1850s.  It wasn't some great job with matching 401ks that put families into covered wagons just to fight native Americans... it was dream of property ownership.  I don't even think mortgages existed at that time.  

How that relates to a Founding Father's interpretation of a mobile home park is hard to say.  I would imagine they would look at it and ask why would anyone rent a tiny piece of land that barely has space for a home. 

I mean you don't even have space for live stock and the rules don't allow chickens!!!

User Stats

Votes
Carini Rochester
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Feb 20 2024, 08:24

Interesting question. I have nothing to offer on the discussion. It's been an entertaining thread to read!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Feb 20 2024, 16:06

Heap big Wampum from Squanto for metal teepee.

But comes with heat, AC, running water and flushy-flushy.

Much better than Buffalo hide tents.

Just my 2 cents.

User Stats

Votes
Logan M.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Provo, UT
Replied Feb 21 2024, 12:27
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Heap big Wampum from Squanto for metal teepee.

But comes with heat, AC, running water and flushy-flushy.

Much better than Buffalo hide tents.

Just my 2 cents.

Hahaha