• Johnstown, CO
Votes |
Mobile Home Tax lien questions in Colorado

Shawn York
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Johnstown, CO
Posted Oct 10 2016, 07:46

Hello-

I have some pretty specific questions about mobile home tax liens in Colorado. I am currently a co-owner on a mobile home. Long-story made short, huge falling out between me and the other owner. It’s always been the other owner’s responsibility to pay the taxes since she occupies the home. She’s gone delinquent every year for the past 5 years. I was unaware of this until recently. It appears that she’ll go delinquent, the tax lien gets sold, and then she’ll catch up the past-year’s lien right before the deadline but still fail to pay the current year’s taxes so the whole thing starts all over again.
My questions are this: Can I bid on the property at a tax lien sale even though I’m listed as a co-owner on the title of the property? If the lien does go into full default, can I file for full ownership even though I’m listed as a co-owner on the title? If not, I’m pretty sure I can still do everything, I’d just have everything under a friend’s name and they could ultimately quit claim deed the property to me afterwards?

The title is tenancy in common, not JTWROS.

Lastly, what are my options for getting out from under the property short of just walking away? It’s my understanding that in most cases when it comes to dividing up property, if the 2 parties cannot come to an agreement on their own, it goes to a court decision and the court typically mandates the sale of the property, the proceeds are divided equally and the parties go their separate ways. Any real estate lawyers in the house that know if this is the typical procedure in Adams County, CO?

Loading replies...