• Contractor
  • Greenfield, MA
Votes |
Mobile home with land but no title/bill of sale

Alfred Edmonds
  • Contractor
  • Greenfield, MA
Posted Jan 18 2018, 08:03

I'm looking at a property in Vermont and need some help and opinion on.

It is .23 acres in a rural area with driveway, septic, and well in place. There is a 2 bedroom 2 bath mobile home built in 1989 in the property. There is said to be electric but the woman who owns it said that there isn't because the previous owner who was foreclosed on pulled the wires from the property to the street. The town says there is electric but I'm going with what the owner said.

The current owner planned to build on the site and seems that she got in over her head. She brought the mobile home to the property because she was told she had to hook up the septic due to some state regulations (I'm unsure of which regulations she is talking about) She began to gut the trailer and because of money and the town, has abandoned the idea. Honestly, from speaking with her several times, I feel she just had no idea what she was doing. 

While speaking with the chair of the board of listers with the town, I was told that the owner never had a bill of sale for the home and that seems to be the real issue. Like I said, the owner just seemed to plan nothing.

I am in a position to buy the property for 5000 and am currently in the due diligence phase. I still need to get a septic and well inspection done. I still have no concrete plan for the land, I'm a builder and have options. There is no zoning in the town but plans still need approval, but I've considered seller financing the land to someone with a tiny house or trailer and ran a test ad to that extent with decent results. Another option is to rehab the mobile home and sell or rent.

If I were to keep the trailer what do I need to do to make it legit without bill of sale? 

The property was last purchased 18 months ago for 15000. In my opinion, if the well and septic get a clean bill of health, plus the driveway in place and the land cleared, the land has value well above my price. She is asking 15 for it but I'm sure I can get her to 5 as I know she wants it gone

Any other advice/ideas are greatly welcomed!

Loading replies...