Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Matson
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
Should comps for house with new ADU include other houses w/ADUs?

Bryce Matson
  • Investor
  • Florida
Posted Jul 17 2022, 21:42

I'm converting my garage into a Junior ADU and almost done. The main house is a 3 bed 2.5 bath and the JADU is 1 bed 1 bath. The total SF is about 2,000 with the JADU. We also have a lot of solar on the house. The house is in Van Nuys.

The realtor we are looking to use gave us comps of houses with 4 beds and 4 baths and similar square footage. When I asked about comps of houses with ADUs and solar they said it doesn't affect the house pricing that much and this is how they have been doing their house comps for houses with ADUs and have sold 150 of them in the last 2 years. Also that solar is not as big a factor in the sale of the house.

They ended up giving me what I thought was a pretty low comp at 950k which I think the house could sell at without the solar and ADU. I know they want to set expectations and not list too high but I also don't want to list too low as any higher offer or bidding war is not going to 200k higher which what I think it should sell at.

The JADU is 400 SF and could fetch $2,200 rent which would certainly help with the mortgage payments and the solar is enough to cover the house, JADU and 2 Teslas being driven 40 miles a day. This seems like good selling points to me and would appraise quite well.

I'd like to get thoughts from anyone who has had experience with similar houses in LA recently. Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...