Getting a street number/address assigned to a vacant lot

6 Replies

I would like to acquire some land or a lot, preferably at a low price. Here's the thing: if I purchase a vacant lot, I would want an actual street number/address assigned to it by the city or town so that I can put up a mailbox and receive mail there. I've read mixed thoughts regarding the possibility of this. A few things I've read said that a structure is required on the lot in order to get a street number assigned. OK, well what about an 'outbuilding'? I could get one of those pre-fab sheds that are sold at Lowe's and Home Depot and put that on my lot. Would that qualify as a structure?

I guess the question is: how difficult is it usually to get a street number/address assigned to a vacant lot or raw land?

Every city/county/municipality has their own rules on how such things may be handled. I don't know where you are located, but ultimately, this is a question for your local government to answer.

@Robert Sullivan You will not get an address issued to this property without a habitable structure on it. Sheds or other shed type structures will not work. BUT what you could do is actually just make up an address "out of thin air"... Find the addresses to the property on the left and the right and create an address that would logically be the next one in the numerical line, and put a mailbox out front and the Post Office is a bunch of complete idiots and more than likely they will just start delivering mail... I've actually done this a few times and it works flawlessly.

As @Bob Okenwa mentioned, this is a question for the county/township/etc where the property is located. In my neck of the woods, it’s a county official called the 911 Addressing Coordinator who hands out the addresses. 

Originally posted by @Mark Fries :
@Robert Sullivan

BUT what you could do is actually just make up an address "out of thin air"... Find the addresses to the property on the left and the right and create an address that would logically be the next one in the numerical line, and put a mailbox out front and the Post Office is a bunch of complete idiots and more than likely they will just start delivering mail...

I've actually done this a few times and it works flawlessly.

I've thought about doing that but I would think a regular mail carrier who is familiar with the route would look at the mail going to this newly created address and say, "Hey, wait a minute... There's no 24 Blueberry Lane". And a lot of online systems that use address validation databases wouldn't accept an address that doesn't exist in the database. You could never use the USPS' Informed Delivery with a made up address.

You don't have to make up an address for land you own.  The address is on your deed.  As for getting mail to a vacant lot, that is a question for the post office.  Tell them you are building a house at XXX Mulberry lane and you want to start USPS service on it before the home is finished.  See what they tell you.  If they approve, set up your mailbox (they might even tell you exactly where it must be placed) and then never build a house on it.