Posted May 9 2022, 17:44

Hey guys If you were me which would you choose:

Option #1 : 5bed/3bath condo

-Morgage payment $2917 monthly

- Hoa $620 monthly

Home warranty insurance $100 monthly

Total : 3637 monthly 

-Condo bought at $660k as a 3 bed 3 bath and now added to extra bed rooms

- I Will wait 2 years to sell i have no idea what the property is worth yet so im waiting until then

Option 2 : Rent upstairs , 3bed 2 bath for $2300. Rent down stairs 2 bed 1 bath $1800 both have separate entrances and kitchens

Total : $4100

Pay morgage $2917

Minus $620 hoa monthly

Brings us to :$563 left for cash flow

Will move soon property manager charges %10 of each unit

10% percent of 2300 upstairs =$230

10% percent of 1800 downstairs = $180

In total : $230+$180=410

Subtracting from cash flow for property manager and insurance will be $53 cash flow 

No property manger and mangage over seas : $463 cash flow

Any advice ?thank you in advance !! 🙏🏾

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied May 9 2022, 18:51

As soon as you mentioned it was a $600K condo I was pressing the "sell" button, HARD.

At the end I saw it was Hawaii.  I have some friends that endure negative cash flow from renting out their single family homes, in the event they want to move back.  That, however, is not a business decision, it is a personal decision.  I would only keep it if you are in very good financial condition and can swing the negative cash flow AND handle unexpected repairs.

User Stats

Votes
David Kirk
Votes |
Replied May 9 2022, 19:34
Quote from @Greg Scott:

As soon as you mentioned it was a $600K condo I was pressing the "sell" button, HARD.

At the end I saw it was Hawaii.  I have some friends that endure negative cash flow from renting out their single family homes, in the event they want to move back.  That, however, is not a business decision, it is a personal decision.  I would only keep it if you are in very good financial condition and can swing the negative cash flow AND handle unexpected repairs.

Im hoping to have a few more rental properties so i can be more comfortable in renting iut out and everything using a property manager 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.