Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Ali Al-Khafaji
Votes |
Is Houston, TX a good place for buying rental properties

Ali Al-Khafaji
Posted May 16 2022, 09:57

Hello All - I am new here as a member, but I've been watching Bigger Pockets videos on YouTube for quite some time. I am very interested in Rental Properties and know that the Midwest is one of the best areas to do so, but I am wondering if Houston offers the same? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Damian
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 16 2022, 11:56

Ali , i live in Houston , great place for rentals , the rents in all areas are great  , but alot  of competition right now , alot of investors and companies bringing  up the prices  to  flip or rehab  , i have 4 rentals here , but started investing   out of state  about 3 years ago  , but i am always looking  to find a deal here in Houston  , you just have to   react quickly  , hope that helps  , thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Blaine Gerick
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 16 2022, 14:55

Hi Ali, in my opinion, Houston offers more appreciation than the Midwest with lower cash flow (lower cap rates). Of course, if you get a good off-market deal and rehab it, you can get some nice cash flow. When looking at properties in Houston, make sure you check the tax rate and know your home insurance cost. Both of these can kill a deal when compared to the Midwest. Good luck and don't forget about ADUs or Opportunity Zones.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine H.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 16 2022, 20:27

@Ali Al-Khafaji we moved from DMV to Houston in 2021 to grow our investments and take advantage of the lower cost of living (though not that low anymore). It's a great place to invest. There's so much development going on in the area and with folks moving here from others countries, I think the opportunities will continue. Recommend avoiding flood zones as they'll eat into your profit.

User Stats

Votes
Ali Al-Khafaji
Votes |
Replied May 17 2022, 08:31

Thank you all for the insightful information!

User Stats

Votes
Barrett Bridgewater
  • Surveyor
Votes |

@Jasmine H. What if I told you that actually Flood Zone properties are the BEST investment? That flood zone properties are hidden deals? In most cases you are correct... the flood zone creates additional yearly costs and eats into NOI. However, flood zone designations can be removed. And we are doing a ton of this in Houston especially.

The problem is the FEMA Flood Maps are highly inaccurate. If a building sits above the flood level then it can be removed off the FEMA Flood Map. As an engineering firm our work is to qualify it and prove it FEMA. That results in removing the lender mandate to purchase flood and thus could eliminate the yearly flood expense.

We even help investors review a flood zone property and tell you if that is possible before you make an offer. So you can buy a property at the depressed value (because of the flood zone), we remove the flood zone designation after closing, and now you a ton of previously hidden NOI and property value that the current owners didn't know was possible.

@Ali Al-Khafaji Our message is don't rule out a flood zone property until we can provide our complimentary review to see what is possible. 

@Blaine Gerick this is even possible on land too.   

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Cutchen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 08:53

@Barrett Bridgewater I'd be interested in speaking with you about this. I see many homes that were located outside of flood zones that did flood, and some houses in flood zones that didn't flood during Harvey. Can you explain this to me further about what you do? You mentioned you can do this before a client makes an offer - do you visit the place or go by elevation? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2022, 23:29
Quote from @Ali Al-Khafaji:

Hello All - I am new here as a member, but I've been watching Bigger Pockets videos on YouTube for quite some time. I am very interested in Rental Properties and know that the Midwest is one of the best areas to do so, but I am wondering if Houston offers the same? Thank you!

Whenever you are ready to buy I have turn key rentals for sale in Houston and other locations in TX. Let’s connect 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2022, 23:32
Quote from @Richard Damian:

Ali , i live in Houston , great place for rentals , the rents in all areas are great  , but alot  of competition right now , alot of investors and companies bringing  up the prices  to  flip or rehab  , i have 4 rentals here , but started investing   out of state  about 3 years ago  , but i am always looking  to find a deal here in Houston  , you just have to   react quickly  , hope that helps  , thanks 

Are you currently investing in turn key properties in Houston 77048? I have one at 6210 El Granate. 4 beds 2 ba!

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 26 2022, 13:49
Quote from @Barrett Bridgewater:

@Jasmine H. What if I told you that actually Flood Zone properties are the BEST investment? That flood zone properties are hidden deals? In most cases you are correct... the flood zone creates additional yearly costs and eats into NOI. However, flood zone designations can be removed. And we are doing a ton of this in Houston especially.

The problem is the FEMA Flood Maps are highly inaccurate. If a building sits above the flood level then it can be removed off the FEMA Flood Map. As an engineering firm our work is to qualify it and prove it FEMA. That results in removing the lender mandate to purchase flood and thus could eliminate the yearly flood expense.

We even help investors review a flood zone property and tell you if that is possible before you make an offer. So you can buy a property at the depressed value (because of the flood zone), we remove the flood zone designation after closing, and now you a ton of previously hidden NOI and property value that the current owners didn't know was possible.

@Ali Al-Khafaji Our message is don't rule out a flood zone property until we can provide our complimentary review to see what is possible. 

@Blaine Gerick this is even possible on land too.   

This is good advice - Houston has some great opportunities but be extra careful on the flooding risk, need to do strong research in how it was affected not just in Harvey, but in the two other recent "500-year floods"