Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Rojas
Votes |
Are real estate prices droping?

Jimmy Rojas
Posted May 17 2022, 12:09

Hey everyone, i live in Phx,az and very frequently check out the MLS portal for real estate in Az, recently looks like there is a drop in asking prices and houses are not being swept off the market as fast as before, what is the reason behind this and could it be expected that the prices will drop even more, there is a lot of contradicting information on the matter, what liable place do you all recommend to get accurate info. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 17 2022, 12:36

I'm not following the market closely at this point but it's not a big shock. Record inflation and the general disastrous state of the country/world will get some people to think twice before pulling the trigger on a large purchase like a house.

I doubt it will make any serious or professional investors slow down though...every market has it's opportunities.....

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied May 17 2022, 13:30

@Jimmy Rojas

Supply and demand. Supply is still tight, but demand is wavering at the current prices. High prices + higher interest = Lower affordability. You can only squeeze so much juice out of an orange before there's nothing left. We seem to be approaching the point where prices have peaked and will begin to normalize. Not go back down to 2019 levels, but resemble a more sane market from years past.

I don't pay attention to real estate predictions. I follow market data and what my eyes show me and go from there.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 17 2022, 14:39

I would take a look at the "Month's Supply." This is an indication of how many months it would take for all of the inventory to sell. Anything less than 6 months is considered to be a Seller's Market and anything over is expected to be a Buyer's Market. That will give you an indication of how the market is doing. 

For example, in Los Angeles County it is hovering around 1.6 month (has gone up slightly). We would need more than 3x the inventory just to be balanced. That tells me that it is going to be a hot minute before we see prices drop (overall as each sub market tells a different story).

User Stats

Votes
David Avery
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Phoenix Arizona
Replied May 22 2022, 17:45

Interest rates have almost doubled in  90 days,  Gas is over $5.20 now.   Food prices will double in 10  months.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 22 2022, 19:08
Quote from @David Avery:

Interest rates have almost doubled in  90 days,  Gas is over $5.20 now.   Food prices will double in 10  months.

And that will make RE prices drop......

Or will it?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Bilderback
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sisters, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sisters, OR
Replied May 22 2022, 20:21

It does not mean prices will fall but it increases the probability.  

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied May 23 2022, 04:25

PHX could be one of the canary in the coal mine markets due to it being one of the markets with the highest run up in prices (and rents).  Heck, the Fed is the canary.  This does not mean that prices will decline but it will impact the market in some form.

If you are looking for data, there are lots of charts and articles shared on the subject in other recent threads.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Rojas
Votes |
Replied May 23 2022, 10:20
Most likely prices wont drop at 2008 level but with the increase of rates and homes not selling as fast hopefully they will drop some, have some family members that are cash heavy....................