Votes |
Port Clinton, Ohio Airbnb

Joe Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Posted May 24 2022, 23:30

Hey guys,

looking to connect with airbnb hosts in Sandusky Ohio/ Port Clinton!

Thanks,

Joe S.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Brown
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied May 25 2022, 05:08

I've heard wonderful things about airbnb here. It gets very dry during the off season but I've heard people making bank along the lake erie coast. Only issue is managing the property if you aren't managing yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Replied May 25 2022, 05:15
Quote from @Stephen Brown:

I've heard wonderful things about airbnb here. It gets very dry during the off season but I've heard people making bank along the lake erie coast. Only issue is managing the property if you aren't managing yourself.

Thanks for the insight- planning to host this myself!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 25 2022, 06:54

Best of luck Joe!

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied May 25 2022, 06:55

BP has an event finder. I would also look at meetup.com and Facebook for finding meetups where you can connect with other investors in those areas. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 12:10

Cannot say that I know anyone who hosts over there unfortunately, but I will say that the area seems like a great place for having a STR! I know a lot of people from the Cleveland area who go up there for a weekend or two every summer. What did you want to ask of the hosts in this area? Or were you just looking to make connections?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 26 2022, 17:45
Quote from @Joe Stout:

Hey @Joe Stout just out of my curiosity why do you want to have one from a distance that is so seasonal? Do you have any yet in more warmer, less seasonal areas? I know people who have successful Airbnb's there, I am just curious why you are considering it as a long distance opportunity. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Replied May 26 2022, 19:20
Quote from @Nicholas Misch:
Quote from @Joe Stout:

Hey @Joe Stout just out of my curiosity why do you want to have one from a distance that is so seasonal? Do you have any yet in more warmer, less seasonal areas? I know people who have successful Airbnb's there, I am just curious why you are considering it as a long distance opportunity. 

Well my first thought was I needed a cash on cash return of 20%. I was looking in Davenport Florida for a bit however the returns were getting worse and worse and the barrier to entry was larger. In Port Clinton, for a second home, you can put 10% down and get a property that grosses 40-50k for 150-160k. The cash on cash returns get crazy there. To further that, I have a part bringing the down payment and that happens to be his favorite vacation spot! It's a regional STR market as well. Meaning, if there are any crises like the ridiculous inflation going on, or COVID, people will still drive to their regional vacation spots. Places that are fly in vacay spots like Disney World see a lot less action. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Replied May 26 2022, 19:21
Quote from @Shane Kelly:

Cannot say that I know anyone who hosts over there unfortunately, but I will say that the area seems like a great place for having a STR! I know a lot of people from the Cleveland area who go up there for a weekend or two every summer. What did you want to ask of the hosts in this area? Or were you just looking to make connections?

Hey Shane, thats great to hear! I was looking to make connections with STR owners up there to talk about things with. What's unusual about the area? Are there lots of contractors there? Is there a great group of cleaners you'd recommend? Things like that-

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 26 2022, 21:01

hi sorry, if i sound dense but you are talking about Port Clinton OH...correct? lol I know this is probably a dumb question. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied May 30 2022, 18:38
Quote from @Joe Stout:
Quote from @Joe Stout:

Well my first thought was I needed a cash on cash return of 20%. I was looking in Davenport Florida for a bit however the returns were getting worse and worse and the barrier to entry was larger. In Port Clinton, for a second home, you can put 10% down and get a property that grosses 40-50k for 150-160k. The cash on cash returns get crazy there. To further that, I have a part bringing the down payment and that happens to be his favorite vacation spot! It's a regional STR market as well. Meaning, if there are any crises like the ridiculous inflation going on, or COVID, people will still drive to their regional vacation spots. Places that are fly in vacay spots like Disney World see a lot less action. 

I've vacationed out in Port Clinton many times. I don't own an Airbnb out there at this time, but I think one would do very well with STR over there.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Stout
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Catonsville, MD
Replied May 30 2022, 18:39
Quote from @Michael Mastantuono:

hi sorry, if i sound dense but you are talking about Port Clinton OH...correct? lol I know this is probably a dumb question. 

Yes, Port Clinton Ohio!

User Stats

Votes
Christy Socash
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Erie Pa/ Girard, Pa
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Erie Pa/ Girard, Pa
Replied Jun 1 2022, 07:13

I sat in a zoom meeting last night and they were showing graphs for the most real estate activity in the US in real time. Cleveland seems to be pretty hot right now. Our family actually visits the Sandusky area at least once a year and Cleveland a couple of times a year. Lots of great things to do even in the winter! Showcase those on your AIRBNB as well as summer. We are over in Erie but do not currently have any STR's. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.