Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Amir B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Elk Grove, CA
Votes |
How does off-market deals work when presented by a REA?

Amir B.
  • Elk Grove, CA
Posted Jun 1 2022, 09:41

Hello,

I never bought an off-market deal. The agent is asking for a 3% commission. I did see it on the FSBO website.

Is that normal? How do those deals work?

Thank you,

Amir

User Stats

Votes
Dwayne Poster
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Van Isle
Replied Jun 1 2022, 13:06

Sounds normal. If you use Realtor representation, you need to pay them something, and 3% is common.  These deals work like any other, except the listing agreement is replaced with a buyers agency agreement. 

One thing as a heads up. It is very common for Realtors to seek an exclusive listing, to bring forth an offer in a FSBO scenario. If you allow this, make sure your agency agreement adjusts the remuneration accordingly, as it will certainly affect the sellers final pricing. I expressly prohibit my representatives from such action.

User Stats

Votes
Amir B.
  • Elk Grove, CA
Votes |
  • Elk Grove, CA
Replied Jun 1 2022, 13:50

Okay thanks  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael K Gallagher#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Votes |
Michael K Gallagher#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus OH
Replied Jun 27 2022, 11:04

@Amir B. you can structure it several ways, as a "net offer" where you the investor pay all commissions and closing costs and the offer is to the seller as a net number.  This is often the best chance to get the lowest number.  If you are instead interested in putting as little down as possible, I'd suggest structuring the commission as part of the selling price so that the seller is technically paying the commission but they still net the same amount.  It really depends on your preferences.