Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
William Hinsche
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
What are the top 5 zip codes in Columbus, OH for residential?

William Hinsche
  • Investor
  • United States
Posted Jun 12 2022, 21:39

What are the top 5 zip codes in Columbus, OH with the highest rental cash flow, lowest turnover/vacancies, lowest crime rates, great schools, and great employers for residential 2-4 unit single-family home neighborhoods? Class A neighborhoods.

User Stats

Votes
Vince Iacobelli
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 06:35

Class A neighborhoods and "highest rental cash flow" dont really go hand in hand in columbus Oh, and most likely many other markets in the country. Generally if you look for properties in locations with stronger macro statistics you will see that rents and price points tend to diverge from each other. Meaning your price points will be much higher than the rents for the areas. 

If you are looking for great areas to cashflow and very reasonable ARV's that allow for value add investment strategies, I can't reccomend whitehall enough. Additionally the south side of columbus (southern orchards, merion village, olde towne east, franklin park) all have great macro stats, and density due to its proximity to the urban core in columbus. That being said there are many other areas that can work for investing so long as the numbers work.

Zip Codes:

Whitehall: 43227-43213

SouthSide: 43206-43205-43203

Click here for a link to the market data report for whitehall.

If you want any further questions answered, or want to compare some areas you are looking at shoot me a message. I can pull some other reports for different areas and show you the difference in the stats.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 06:47

@William Hinsche    
Cash flow is non-existent in A-class neighborhoods. If you are looking for cash flow you need to be looking at more C locations because the lower price of entry paired with market rents allows for higher cash flow. For example, Hilltop, Franklinton, Linden, and Whitehall/ Eastmoor are great places to look.

Reafco- Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 11:49
Quote from @William Hinsche:

What are the top 5 zip codes in Columbus, OH with the highest rental cash flow, lowest turnover/vacancies, lowest crime rates, great schools, and great employers for residential 2-4 unit single-family home neighborhoods? Class A neighborhoods.

I think 43215, 43201, 43202, 43212, and 43214 are solid A class zip codes in Columbus, Ohio

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 13:46

@William Hinsche
I personally enjoy looking for multi-family in 43212, 43201, 43202, 43215, and 43235 as these are are areas that I would live in myself to buy and owner-occupy. Taxes in these zip codes might be higher but they're great long term holds with steady appreciation. Lower turnover/vacancies is a result of a desired area to live and time of the year when leasing a property.

If you're looking for good cashflow you should look into 43211, 43204, 43213, 43227, and 43222.Taxes in these areas will be lower and you'll have much more room for cashflow but you'll want to make sure you have a solid property manager to help get and collect market rents, find long term tenants, and keep the property maintained. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 13 2022, 14:11

I think it is not about the zip codes because that can be rather broad. Sometimes there is a great neighborhood or zip code yet one street over is not so good. Where I am currently living is in the 43203 zip code and I love it. I got a great deal on a duplex here with great cash flow and I love the neighborhood. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Cress
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 20 2022, 11:35

Hey William, that is a really great question to ask. I believe that there are a few really great zip codes that qualify with all of those categories. In my opinion, in no particular order, some of the best zip codes would be 43224, 43123, 43206, 43068, and 43232. These are also great zip codes for flips as well. I hope that helps! Happy investing! 

User Stats

Votes
Rehaan Khan
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Virginia, USA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Virginia, USA
Replied Mar 27 2024, 16:00
Quote from @Patrick Drury:

@William Hinsche    
Cash flow is non-existent in A-class neighborhoods. If you are looking for cash flow you need to be looking at more C locations because the lower price of entry paired with market rents allows for higher cash flow. For example, Hilltop, Franklinton, Linden, and Whitehall/ Eastmoor are great places to look.

Which areas do you recommend to look for flip projects? I’m not familiar with Ohio but looking to do my next project there. I’m interested in buying lower priced properties & selling them for a quick turn around time. Happy to work with good realtors as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 07:59
Quote from @Rehaan Khan:

@William Hinsche    

Which areas do you recommend to look for flip projects? I’m not familiar with Ohio but looking to do my next project there. I’m interested in buying lower priced properties & selling them for a quick turn around time. Happy to work with good realtors as well. 

You can find the low priced flips in zip codes like 43211, 43213, 43223, and 43219. Columbus is a city that is growing at a rapid rate so it's a great city to do buy and holds as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 08:00
Quote from @Rehaan Khan:

@William Hinsche    

A lot of new investors do flips in Linden, Hilltop, and Whitehall in Columbus, Ohio

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 28 2024, 10:29

I would look into B- to C locations in Columbus like Hilltop, Linden, Whitehall, and Eastmoor will have the best cashflow. 

If you want all of the above that you mentioned. It will unfortunately not be attainable in the Columbus market.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Thomas
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 28 2024, 10:42

While I can't definitively say which are the absolute top 5 zip codes in Columbus, I can help you narrow your search for Class A neighborhoods that offer a good balance of rental cash flow, low vacancy rates, safety, and strong school systems.Some promising areas to consider based on general market research include New Albany (43064), known for excellent schools, safety, and strong rental demand, although cash flow might be lower due to higher property values. Dublin (43017) offers similar benefits, but affordability could be a concern. Upper Arlington (43212) is an established Class A neighborhood with good schools and potentially stable rental income. Galena (43026) is a growing area with newer developments, offering good rental income and lower vacancy rates. Westerville (43081) is a family-friendly area with good schools and potentially steady rental demand, but it's essential to analyze vacancy rates and rental income expectations.