Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Michael Cavitolo
  • New to Real Estate
  • Staten Island, NY
Votes |
If you’ve started over today, how would you do it?

Michael Cavitolo
  • New to Real Estate
  • Staten Island, NY
Posted Jun 19 2022, 16:19

Hey all! I want to get some discussions and see from your POV!

If you started over today in Real Estate, and you’re a first time buyer in this currently economy with $40k saved up. 

Love to hear your thoughts! What game plan are you taking to be Financially Free?

BRRRR? FHA House Hack? SF Conventional? Subject to?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 19 2022, 16:37

With limited money, the best plan IMHO is to buy a serious fixer in an area that's about to get nice. Fix it up. wait a couple years. Double your money and move on up. Works every time. Well almost every time...

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 19 2022, 18:35

Same as last time. Buy a new primary every year and rent out the previous primary. Lowest downpayment, lowest interest rate. Easiest approval. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Siddharth Banerjee
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dartmouth, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dartmouth, MA
Replied Jun 19 2022, 18:42

Well for context I am 19 years old, working part time going to college and have saved up 20k with plans to accumulate even more to invest in real estate.

My goal right now is to use an FHA loan to buy a 3 family multifamily and househack it as the ROI along with the low money down just makes perfect sense for me. From there I would live in it a year to free up the FHA loan, refinance, and then rinse and repeat the same process. Now I obviously can't repeat this process again and again, and my plan after would be to BRRRR single family houses and go from there! :)

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 19 2022, 19:43

I'd probably buy a house that needs a little bit of work, live in it while I fix it up, then turn it into a rental and repeat. Ideally I'd find a place with a secondary suite.  I'd also do it sooner.

User Stats

Votes
Suzette Williams
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 19 2022, 20:12

I would house hack, and start sooner. I  would also start outside NYC as prices are much lower.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Ramirez
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jun 20 2022, 19:55

@Michael Cavitolo I would take $5K and Do  massive marketing and hopefully I can get a deal to wholesale. $5K will yield me 5-6 figures and then I would go buy a property cash or maybe wholesale another deal until I have enough money to get a mtf property under contract and get that done and then cash out refi and go do it again. There are so many things you can do. Reach out if you have any questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 20 2022, 20:20

@Michael Cavitolo house hack over and over again till I was blue in the face.