Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes

Thoughts on Buying for Cash Flow vs Appreciation

Posted Jul 2 2022, 18:58

Hi all! 

tdlr: I have a unique opportunity here of not paying a down payment or closing cost and not sure if I should take advantage of this and buy a more expensive property or settle for a cheaper property. My ultimate goal is to buy multiple units.

I was approved for a NACA mortgage where I don't have to put down closing costs and can get up to a 2-3% lower interest rate than the market.

I'm thinking of buying a multi-family to live in a unit and renting out the other 2 units. The problem is I'm having trouble deciding between buying in an expensive market like NYC /NYC metro area where 3-family homes go for like a minimum of 999 in the Bronx. Since NACA allows you not to put down a downpayment and no closing costs I wouldn't have to worry about that even though I do have money to cover rent for a while if things go wrong.

The problem here is that based on numbers these units will be hard to cash flow with such a high mortgage but because is NYC/metro I'm sure they'll appreciate in value. The other option I was thinking about is buying further out of the city in the capital region where I can get a 3 family that may need a bit of work for 250K+ or one in k shape for 320k+.  Rent is much cheaper in those areas at around 1k - 1.4k depending on units but these are much more likely to cash flow. Especially when purchased through Naca.  These units will most likely not appreciate much but will cash flow when compared to the NYC area market.

What are your thoughts? Thank you!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Kelly
  • Investor
  • Bethlehem, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bethlehem, PA
Replied Jul 3 2022, 07:51

@Cristian Cedacero run the numbers on both scenarios and look at IRR after 5, 10, 30 years. $999k property will earn much more than the $300k property...

I'd try to max out the NACA benefit and should for the highest property value you can.

In both scenarios your COC return is almost infinite so you can't go wrong.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 3 2022, 07:53

In this market, you definitely don’t want to buy for appreciation 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jul 4 2022, 06:59

@Cristian Cedacero you will make more money on loan pay down than appreciation, be sure to factor that in

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 4 2022, 07:02

If.......If RE prices drop significantly, and you buy in low, then yes the appreciation you will receive can be huge.

But unless that happens, don't buy for appreciation right now.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Jul 4 2022, 07:30

The key buying in expensive markets is buying below market value.  Bake in your appreciation with equity capture at the buy. 

This means more work sourcing an off market or motivated seller but will put you ahead years worth of cashflow without the hassles messing with mid grade tenants and assets.  

The answer?  Buy your local househack but get a great deal.