Votes |
Refinancing a Seller Financed Deal - Seasoning Time

Milton Durstine
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Southwest PA
Posted Jul 12 2022, 09:58

Hello Everyone!

Last October (October '21) I closed on a seller financed deal consisting of a triplex, duplex, and garage/ADU. So 6 total apartments. It needed quite a bit of work. Rehab is just about to finish with 4/6 apartments currently under lease. I reached out to my preferred bank to start planning for the refinance. I thought everything was moving forward perfectly until the bank called and said it's their policy that seller financed deals have a 2 year seasoning period. I'd prefer to use this bank since they've treated me well in the past but waiting 15 or so more months to close the refinance has me a bit disheartened.

Is a 2 year seasoning period typically required to refinance a seller financed deal?

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Allen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 11:19

@Milton Durstine

Time to start shopping. Keep taking to lenders until you find one that will do a year or less.

Dustin Allen - REALTOR® Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Jul 12 2022, 12:51

Hi @Milton Durstine, that bank is probably keeping their loans as a portfolio loan rather than selling them to Fannie/Freddie.

Therefore, they have their own guidelines. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have no problem refinancing a seller-financed deal.

However, you would have to wait 6 months from when you received the title of the property. Since it has been greater than 6 months, you do not have to wait.

If you refinance now and want to refinance with your preferred bank in 15 months, you can certainly do so.

If you would like a referral to a lender that can help you with this refinance, please let me know.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Milton Durstine
Pro Member
  • Southwest PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Southwest PA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 18:14

@Andrew Garcia Thanks for reaching out and for your reply. A referral would be great. Feel free to send me a message.

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jul 12 2022, 19:37

@Milton Durstine Are these on individual parcels/tax ID? This would determine the type of loan you can use.

Does each property have its individual loan? Or is it a single loan that collateralizes all the properties? This would determine if it is classified as a rate and term refi or a cash-out refi (even if you are not getting any cash in hand).

Since you have owned the property for more then 6 months you certainly should be able to do a refi. The 2 yr seasoning requirement is that lenders internal overlay.

Hope this helps.

The Federal Savings Bank Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jared Rine
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 19:43

@Milton Durstine...I second what's said by @Upen Patel  ..he's asking good questions and has good points.  There are lenders that should be able to refinance you with 6 months seasoning for cash out / 1 day for rate/term, depending.  

• Lender California (#01915324) and California (#893462)

United Lending Partners Logo

User Stats

Votes
Milton Durstine
Pro Member
  • Southwest PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Southwest PA
Replied Jul 13 2022, 05:00
Quote from @Upen Patel:

@Milton Durstine Are these on individual parcels/tax ID? This would determine the type of loan you can use.

Does each property have its individual loan? Or is it a single loan that collateralizes all the properties? This would determine if it is classified as a rate and term refi or a cash-out refi (even if you are not getting any cash in hand).

Since you have owned the property for more then 6 months you certainly should be able to do a refi. The 2 yr seasoning requirement is that lenders internal overlay.

Hope this helps.

@Upen Patel Thanks for response. They are all on the same parcel/tax ID with a single loan for all the properties.

User Stats

Votes
Upen Patel
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Nationwide Lender
Replied Jul 13 2022, 06:05
Quote from @Milton Durstine:
Quote from @Upen Patel:

Hope this helps.

@Upen Patel Thanks for response. They are all on the same parcel/tax ID with a single loan for all the properties.

That would make it a commercial loan.

The Federal Savings Bank Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bill Ham
Votes |

18 months is standard but the market may be tightening going forward.