Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate
Account Closed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Halifax, NS
Votes |
Looking to connect with Commercial Agents - 100 units PLUS!

Account Closed
  • Halifax, NS
Posted Aug 4 2022, 07:01

Hello bigger pockets community! My name is Janelle and I'm a real estate investor with assets in Canada.  My business partner and I have been doing house flips, single family, duplexs etc to establish a solid education and experience base.  In the last year we have purchased 2 apartment buildings by partnering with investors.  We are no seeking to scale up and purchase 100 units plus in South Carolina.  We are targeting cities with 100,000 plus in population, positive population growth, medium to low crime rates, and solid industry in the area.  I'd love to connect with a real estate agent to chat more about the potential in the state.  In addition, i welcome any investors in the area to learn more about investing here and see if I can add any value to you! Looking forward to connecting - Janelle

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Aug 4 2022, 16:54

Multifamilies in that size will generally go through a commercial broker. In this space, typically only the seller is represented by a broker in the transaction, with buyers being unrepresented.

When a commercial broker gets a deal, they will shop it around to their top contacts to see if any are interested. If not, then they'll gradually widen the potential buyers they present to, until sending out to their general list (if nobody further up the line wanted it). The further up the chain you can get, the better. The problem is, that's tough to do!

Commercial brokers are most concerned with seeing that you're serious, experienced, know exactly what you're looking for, and are able to close. The more you can demonstrate that, the better!

I'd recommend the direct approach with brokers. Look them up and give them a call! But before you do, really get to know SC and the specific markets you're interested in. The goal is to set yourself apart from tire kickers!

Account Closed
  • Halifax, NS
Votes |
  • Halifax, NS
Replied Aug 5 2022, 05:13

Hi Taylor,

Fantastic! Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated.  I believe we are on the right track.  We've done the market research, nailed our criteria down and most importantly have experience to back us up.  We are also working with a partner who has closed $30 Million in real estate in the last few years to guide us along, adding to our combined experience further

Regards,

Janelle

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Poirrier
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Aug 5 2022, 11:44

Welcome @Account Closed!  I'm a multifamily agent and investor in the Columbia, SC region.  Most of the inventory around here is sub ten units compared to some larger and denser markets such as when I was working in Los Angeles.  The handful of garden type properties you speak of are fiercely traded and quite often, maybe every 5-7 years depending on the goal and timeline for the firm that owns them, their debt maturity, or overall picture.  They are not always sold through brokerages depending on how they bought it and if they have their own disposition team, etc that will shop it to the handful of active investment firms big enough to take it down and frequently package large portfolios.

I'm happy to connect and chat further!

User Stats

Votes
Chris DeTreville
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Aug 29 2022, 08:10

@Account Closed are you interested in portfolios? I am sitting on several hundred doors in Columbia SC, mostly single family but there is a mix of townhome, condo, small multi family as well.  Some can be split up.  Room for value add.  Reach out to me if you are interested.  

User Stats

Votes
Alexandria Yarborough
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Aug 29 2022, 10:16

I'm interested. I'm located in Cola, SC.