Votes
Luke Haverkamp
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
Is my property a TIC or Join Tenancy?

Luke Haverkamp
  • Des Moines, IA
Posted Sep 9 2022, 12:35

I'm sure this is an easy question for someone that knows their stuff, but how do I know if I property I bought recently with a business partner is held with joint tenancy or a TIC? I'm trying to figure out if that is something recorded on the deed, or if it is arranged by a partnership agreement, etc. I probably should have figured this out before we closed on the property, but better late than never.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Sep 9 2022, 12:56

It's based on the deed. If you held as TIC it should say something like "Luke Haverkamp (50%) and XXX (50%) as Tenants in Common". The % is defining your TIC ownership % and can be whatever was agreed to.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Haverkamp
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Sep 12 2022, 06:54

@Matt Devincenzo Thanks!

I went and looked at the deed and we are joint tenants.

Would it be worth it for us to try and change to a TIC?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Sep 12 2022, 09:24

I guess that depends on why you're wanting a TIC specifically? It can be done with a simple deed transfer from Joint Tenants to TIC yourself if you just prepare and record the deed. It sounds like that may be a bit past your current understanding of the process so having someone else help is probably a good idea. If you're an attorney close State they can probably take care of it for a few hundred bucks, the Title Co. could do the same most likely.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Sep 12 2022, 09:27

@Luke Haverkamp, depends on what you're trying to do.  Joint tenants generally means the split is 50-50.  You can still sell and do what you want with your %.  Sometimes there's a "rights of survivorship" issue with joint tenants you'll want to explore.

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Sep 12 2022, 19:44

J/T is an odd choice for business partners. If it was my property I would look closely into how that happened… and then fix it ASAP. Stop breathing and the business partner owns 100%. 

User Stats

Votes
Luke Haverkamp
  • Des Moines, IA
Votes |
  • Des Moines, IA
Replied Sep 13 2022, 06:19

@Matt Devincenzo, @Dave Foster, @Tom Gimer

I appreciate the comments. The rights of survivorship is why I would want to switch to TIC. I will look into getting it changed.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Sep 13 2022, 06:53

@Luke Haverkamp

I forget my tenancy types a bit, but does seem odd... Check your State's laws on Joint Tenancy. Some call it "Joint Tenancy" and some call it "Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship." Usually its for married couples whereupon one spouse's death the decedent's interest automatically transfers to the living spouse. TIC usually has it where the decedent's interest (i.e. their ownership) is transferred according to their will/hereditary laws... Joint Tenancy I think has to be 50/50.