Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gilbert
Votes |
VA Assumable Loan when selling primary residence

Chris Gilbert
Posted Oct 1 2022, 17:27

Wondering if anyone here has experience with either having someone assume their VA loan or assuming the VA loan yourself. Looking to use the VA loan and interest rate on the remaining balance of the loan on my house as a perk when selling my home. I know the basics of the assumption process but looking for any more in depth details.

Thanks for any input

User Stats

Votes
Darryl Matthews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Nov 17 2022, 15:07

Yes we do have experience with assumable VA loan. Are you looking to off load the property?

User Stats

Votes
Alex Fenske
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Mokena, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Mokena, IL
Replied Nov 29 2022, 13:28

Chris Gilbert the new buyer will need to qualify based on credit & income but does not need to be a veteran. However, if they are not, then you will not be able to use your VA loan benefit again until the current loan is paid off/refinanced. If the new buyer happens to be a veteran then you get your eligibility back as soon as the sale closes. Either way you do not retain any financial responsibility for the loan after the sale, it is out of your name. Contact your current mortgage servicing company for next steps.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.