Buying & Selling Real Estate Discussion

User Stats

Votes
Harper Wood
Votes |
Advice please - contact seller directly?

Harper Wood
Posted Oct 5 2022, 09:40

I found a piece of land that I’d like to buy. I don’t have a realtor, so I contacted the seller’s realtor. There are questions about easement and access that he’s not answering clearly. Electricity and a road are not direct to the land. The piece is very expensive and I think overpriced, so I’d like to figure out how much it will cost to get utilities and a road before I make a fair offer. The property has been on the market for a year. Is it wrong for me to contact the seller directly? 

User Stats

Votes
Charlie MacPherson
  • China, ME
Votes |
  • China, ME
Replied Oct 5 2022, 10:07
It's not wrong, per se.  It might be ill advised though.

If you're not experienced in real estate, a buyer's agent could be a big help.

You need to contact the electric company to ask about the cost of getting power.  I'd talk with the town about whether a road is permitted and under what conditions.  If it's landlocked, that's a whole other problem.

Easement issues have to be clearly disclosed and if the seller's agent is not cooperating, there may be a reason why.  Maybe trying to hide something?

I'd try to find a strong buyer's agent - and not someone from the same office as the seller's agent.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Malkia Ra
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prince George's County, MD
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prince George's County, MD
Replied Oct 5 2022, 12:32
Quote from @Charlie MacPherson:
It's not wrong, per se.  It might be ill advised though.

If you're not experienced in real estate, a buyer's agent could be a big help.

You need to contact the electric company to ask about the cost of getting power.  I'd talk with the town about whether a road is permitted and under what conditions.  If it's landlocked, that's a whole other problem.

Easement issues have to be clearly disclosed and if the seller's agent is not cooperating, there may be a reason why.  Maybe trying to hide something?

I'd try to find a strong buyer's agent - and not someone from the same office as the seller's agent.

Good luck!

Absolutely agree with this.

User Stats

Votes
John Mathew
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 5 2022, 13:07

I do agree with Charlie, a buyers agent will really help you big time. 

They can spot red flags. You might say home buying without a buyer’s agent is a little like grilling tenderloin without a meat thermometer: you might not know there’s a problem until you’re sitting at the table. Working with an experienced buyer’s agent can make it easier to identify and navigate issues early in the process.

A buyer's agent is also committed to representing you. Both agents can set up house tours, but unlike the listing agent who represents the seller, a buyer's agent protects the buyer's interests during the crucial negotiating and closing process. The agent bargains with the seller on the selling price, facilitates the home inspection, negotiates contingencies and assists the buyer through the closing paperwork.

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston | Austin | Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston | Austin | Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 5 2022, 14:58

@Harper Wood

If you are new in real estate, get in touch with a local agent or investor and shorten your learning curve and save you a lot of headaches as they tend to understand the market better.

Also contact county office about utilities.

All the best!

Real Estate Agent Texas (#736740)