Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes

Pending roof replacement - risks during winter season?

Posted Oct 19 2022, 21:57

Hi!

I am looking into a short sale in the Cleveland area. Unfortunately, the roof looks pretty scary and as it's a short sale, I don't expect to be able to repair the roof myself before winter arises. 

Would anybody know about the risks this kind of roof brings? Do you think it's a red flag and I shouldn't even put in an offer in the first place?

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Oct 20 2022, 01:35

The only problem I've heard of with replacing a roof in the winter, is the temperatures being too cold for asphalt shingles to seal properly.  If you are dealing with a good roofing company, they should know what they are doing.  Worst case, you can always tarp it for a bit.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 20 2022, 07:02

Thanks Theresa! The issue is, that it's a shortsale and I am afraid that it might take months (until the end of winter) to become the owner if it goes through... That's why I am wondering about the risks leaving the roof as is and having a Cleveland winter come and go.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Oct 20 2022, 11:07

Sylvia, I can't open or zoom into the picture, so can't comment on any "condition."  You can find contractor (hopefully good ones) that will replace or repair roofs in the winter time.  It's not a preferred time, but we do it, yes even here in the South.   And, you have to have or know of a good Contractor or evaluator that can tell you what they think of the roof, or other items that need work.  (unless you know all that)  It may be ok with repairs, or you may need a roof replacement.  Difference of a few hundred dollars, to maybe a few thousand!

As Theresa said, shingles are stiff in the cold, so may not heat up enough to expand out and lay flat or seal down.  This is typical and yes, the roofers should know this and not make things so "tight" when installing during the cold (to leave room for things to expand when it warms up!)  But, you can also ask the existing owners/bank/entity... to tarp the roof (it doesn't look that big) to prevent future problems until it can be addressed directly!  (leaks, mold, more damage to sheetrock and carpet...) Many times they are receptive to that so more damage won't be incurred.

wish you luck on the deal!  Jerry  w/J's Roofing  Richardson, TX

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Oct 20 2022, 15:26

If the roof is not actively leaking, I would not be concerned. If there's a big hole with water pouring in every rainstorm, and no immediate plan to swap the roof, then I would pass on this property.

User Stats

Votes
Winston Covington
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Santa Ana, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Santa Ana, CA
Replied Oct 20 2022, 18:01

Based upon my experience dealing with distressed properties, I would say that if the Owner let the roof go this long, what else was let go ? Also, when making an insurance claim, you could have a denial of your claim if the property wasn’t maintained properly. There might be too much liability with this one with winter coming. I’d pass.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Oct 20 2022, 18:16

If you're not sure, it is best to assume that it will leak, And probably cause damage. Get a Contractor to sneak up close and look at the roof.....any good one will be able to tell you it's condition, or pretty close...

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Oct 28 2022, 12:34
Quote from @Sylvia Schumacher:

Hi!

I am looking into a short sale in the Cleveland area. Unfortunately, the roof looks pretty scary and as it's a short sale, I don't expect to be able to repair the roof myself before winter arises. 

Would anybody know about the risks this kind of roof brings? Do you think it's a red flag and I shouldn't even put in an offer in the first place?

Thanks!

Yea, you'll have water getting into the house causing all types of damage throughout. I suggest factoring that into your offer.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:21
Quote from @Sylvia Schumacher:

Hi!

Thanks!

Of course, buy it , just offer, 7k less for the roof. $250ish a sq 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:31

Are you planning on financing the home or paying all cash? Doubtful anyone will lend on it is that condition. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 22 2022, 08:17

They're pretty easy to replace. Talk to a trusted roofer and they'll give you options. I've seen them shovel the snow off first, but I don't think all will.

The Moorhead Team Logo