Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Yasmeen Neal
Votes |
For Sale By Owner Experience

Yasmeen Neal
Posted Oct 29 2022, 06:52

Hello i have a property I’d like to sell on my own.  I’ve bought and sold a few properties and this last time I was more savvy/ knowledgeable than the RE team-  even as far as reading the contract.  I’d like to hear from anyone whose’s has a positive / negative experience with selling your property on your own and/using a flat-rate listing agent.  Thanks  

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 29 2022, 07:53

It was easy to sell your home on your own the last few years, now I feel realtors are necessary to get to the mass audience. Most realtors don't set their clients up on searches where they don't get paid commission. If your market is still hot than ignore what i said 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Oct 29 2022, 08:01

@Yasmeen Neal, at the end of the day, the MLS is still by far the best source to market properties in my opinion. If you're looking to save money, I would recommend still using a flat-rate listing agent to input the property on the MLS, but compensate the buyer's agent their 2.5%-3% of the purchase price. You're receiving full marketing exposure and saving money simultaneously. As noted above, if the buyer's agent is not going to be compensated, then they're not going to work on the deal. FYI many investors target FSBOs, which means you'll most likely be receiving lowball offers, which is obviously not what you want. Hope this makes sense and helps!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Oct 30 2022, 11:07
Quote from @Yasmeen Neal:

Hello i have a property I’d like to sell on my own.  I’ve bought and sold a few properties and this last time I was more savvy/ knowledgeable than the RE team-  even as far as reading the contract.  I’d like to hear from anyone whose’s has a positive / negative experience with selling your property on your own and/using a flat-rate listing agent.  Thanks  

I've always sold my own properties. On occasion I've used a servie to list in the MLS, cost is about $800. 

It depends on the cycle though. We're in a tough cycle and it might be a good idead to contact the high producing agents and tell them you'll pay their fee if they bring a qualified buy to you.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Oct 30 2022, 13:50

put key on lock box yiu buy on AMZ 

Google flat fee MLS listing

Choose  one of them   Usually cost around 

Have pictures taken 

Give selling agent 2.5   They take care of submitting you the offers 

Done 

seriously I have sold like this numerous  times 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Oct 30 2022, 14:15
Quote from @Yasmeen Neal:

No need to use a realtor, just list it, realtors will bring you buyers anyway, just pay them the 2 or 3 % 

User Stats

Votes
Maksu Ize
  • Investor
  • Vancouver
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vancouver
Replied Oct 30 2022, 21:00

I tried this in a tier A major city, most realtors are in a cult.

If you are selling without their cult, they essentially tell their buyers off. And I was offering over their standard commission.

I had about 6 showings, one low-ball offer.

I could be wrong and my unit was simply overpriced, even being listed under the recent sold within comparison

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Oct 31 2022, 04:34

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. And sorry that realtors have given you the impression they are unnecessary. I’m an investor at heart, agent by day, so I get it. And it would be hypocritical for me to push you to the mls way too hard as I acquire and negotiate off market deals fairly regularly, that technically do have an agent (me!) but don’t always go to market. So again, I get it. 

Whatever you decide I wish you well and hope it goes well. I will say I just sold something for someone who tried to sell flat fee as recommended every where else here, and they were sitting for almost 2 months no offer and I took it over and got 20 showings in a week with 3 offers. We sold it to a cash buyer and my seller was very happy with their net sheet. I’m not bragging .. I’m saying some of us are willing to work our @$$ off to take care of our client. If even 1% of you is trying to find that person in your market, I do think they exist, and a few lazy agents shouldn’t ruin it for all of us. Good luck to you.  

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Oct 31 2022, 06:58

I've sold at least a dozen times by owner since 2017.  Plexes, singles, commercial, all of it. 

They were all rentals that needed some work. My goal  selling smalls on my own wasn't to save the commission, but pass the savings along to the 1st time buyers. 

I sold smalls a la carte and it worked well.  It's this price if no agent.  If you have one, great, just add their commission to your offer.  

Give that a try for a week or 2 , just know that seasonally this isn't optimal unless you're in the south maybe.