• Santa Maria, CA
Votes |
Tiny Homes on Wheels Investing in Fresno California

David Maldonado
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Santa Maria, CA
Posted Oct 30 2022, 22:52

Hey Everyone,

I have been successful building ADUs in my hometown while utilizing the house hacking strategy. I built my first ADU (now known as a JADU) as an owner builder and did most of the work myself. From the cost to build it and the rent it generated, I made my initial investment back in about 16 months. Now it is like owning a property free and clear. ADUs are cash flowing machines in California if anyone didn't know. I bought and moved into my 2nd house and immediately pulled permits to build a detached 745 sq 2 bed 1 bath ADU AND an additional attached ADU on my first property (SB13 allowed 2 units on a SFH after 2020), again as an owner builder. I built both of them last year and I will be making my initial investment on both units at the end of next year. Managing 1 project was tough, but two!? I then understood the significance of hiring a licensed contractor, and why they charge what they charge is mostly justified. I learned a lot acting as my own GC and especially, saved a ton of money on labor. I realized I love building and turns out I qualify to take the California GC license exam (combination of a college degree and owner builder experience)! I recently closed on my third deal to house hack and I will be working on pulling permits for my 4th and 5th ADU after I finish renovating the house (Needs a TON of work and I'm surprised it passed VA!), but might as well make it look nice since I will be living in it)! I'm thinking ahead and I had always had an interest in investing in the Fresno area (that's where I got my BA in Business/Finance!).

I kept up with the laws pertaining to ADUs and Tiny home on wheels (THOW) over the years so I am well informed on them. Fresno is much cheaper than the area I invest in and my money can go further their while getting a pretty sweet return. Anyone have experience building THOW, getting them certified (can't remember the name of the THOW certifying agency), registered with the DMV, and then throw them on the back of one of your rentals (permitted) for cash flow? I was going to start building tiny homes anyway, but I figured if this is another avenue for THOW/ADUs, then lets make some money! I just wouldn't know where to start, who to talk to, permit process information, etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

I am also open to talking about my ADUs if anyone is interested. I'm an ADU enthusiast!

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Pimentel
  • Realtor
  • Fresno County
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fresno County
Replied Nov 2 2022, 12:57

Hello Noah, 

There is a local company here in Fresno that may be able to point you in the right direction.

https://www.kjetinyhomes.com/i...

Look into the requirements for a Vehicle Manufacturer License since you will be placing the tiny homes on wheels. 

Be aware of how long the process to be NOAH/RIVA certified as well as obtaining the proper licensing with the DMV will take. 

On another note, the city of Fresno has an ADU program. Here's a link to that information.

https://www.fresno.gov/darm/ad...

Good luck and let me know how it goes!