Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Seibel
Votes |
Splitting profits of sale

Phillip Seibel
Posted Nov 15 2022, 21:44

Hi everyone!! Buying our first investment property. My son is buying the property in his name and using his money to pay closing costs and down payment. My fiancé and I found the property, negotiated the contract, and wrote all the contracts. When we go to sell the property how should we split the profits? My fiancé thinks it should be 1/3 1/3 1/3 and I think it should be son-50% and us 50%. Which way would you guys recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 16 2022, 04:41

@Phillip Seibel

why would you sell?

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Nov 16 2022, 04:47

It depends on how much you want to help your son out. I think you all should sit down and talk about it but if I was in your shoes I would probably let my son keep all the profits or take something similar to a "wholesale" at closing or refinance like 10-15k. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Zackary C Dunn
  • Contractor
  • Tampa FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Tampa FL
Replied Nov 16 2022, 04:50

Personally, after doing something similar with a friend, I would use a LLC Operating agreement to outline each individual's role, their payout, and penalties for non performance.

I'm assuming it's a flip. If so, who is doing the labor and who is paying for materials?

My opinion is if your son is on the hook for everything financially, I would say he should be at least 75%. If the deal crashes he is the one on the hook. If you and your fiancé are doing all the labor and have some skin in the game you should be 50/50

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Seibel
Votes |
Replied Nov 16 2022, 07:59
Quote from @Zackary C Dunn:

Personally, after doing something similar with a friend, I would use a LLC Operating agreement to outline each individual's role, their payout, and penalties for non performance.

I'm assuming it's a flip. If so, who is doing the labor and who is paying for materials?

My opinion is if your son is on the hook for everything financially, I would say he should be at least 75%. If the deal crashes he is the one on the hook. If you and your fiancé are doing all the labor and have some skin in the game you should be 50/50

Thank you so much for the response. Yes we all have a role in it but when it comes to my kids I tend to do more in their favor and I want to make sure I’m being fair to my fiancé as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Seibel
Votes |
Replied Nov 16 2022, 08:00
Quote from @Jared Hottle:

It depends on how much you want to help your son out. I think you all should sit down and talk about it but if I was in your shoes I would probably let my son keep all the profits or take something similar to a "wholesale" at closing or refinance like 10-15k. 

Thank you so much for the response. Yes we all have a role in it but when it comes to my kids I tend to do more in their favor and I want to make sure I’m being fair to my fiancé as well.