Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Rhianna Cultrona
Votes |
Would you pay cash vs high interest rate?

Rhianna Cultrona
Posted Nov 17 2022, 09:29

Opportunity to buy a house for $80k. It would be a buy and hold and the cash flow and COI are decent but the interest rate is a killer. Would you consider paying cash for it. Kills your capitol but increases initial cashflow and cuts out all the interest...

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Hammill
  • Investor
  • Torrance, Ca
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Torrance, Ca
Replied Nov 17 2022, 09:40

Id rather keep my cash, incase a unicorn deal comes along and I need funds. If it doesn't cash flow unless I pay all cash for it, its probably a deal I don't want. 

Interest isn't as big of a concern to me. If the deal cashflows at a high interest rate that's good. Means it will cashflow great when rates go down. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Willis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Curtis, NE
Replied Nov 17 2022, 09:46
Quote from @Rhianna Cultrona:

Opportunity to buy a house for $80k. It would be a buy and hold and the cash flow and COI are decent but the interest rate is a killer. Would you consider paying cash for it. Kills your capitol but increases initial cashflow and cuts out all the interest...

Can you split the difference, put a little more down and get a shorter term ARM?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 17 2022, 09:54

I would never buy all cash but nothing wrong with low leverage for example 50% or 60% LTV deals. Can always cash out refi the money back out if rates do drop in future and thats where a deal now can be a home run in the future.