Votes
Robert Liu
Pro Member
Votes |
New build with delta build services in Cape Coral

Robert Liu
Pro Member
Posted Nov 17 2022, 20:55

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with some insights and experiences they have had with delta build services for building new homes in Cape Coral. I was referred to them from a turnkey company. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Rong Tan
Votes |

been under contract w another builder and permit for 7 months. nothing yet; permitting is very slow. frustrating

User Stats

Votes
Corey Morrison
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Nov 18 2022, 03:08

I’ve lived in Cape Coral since 2013. I haven’t heard of delta build services before, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t reputable. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Davis
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Nov 18 2022, 04:07

@Rong Tan

The last I heard is the City of Cape Coral has halted all new building permits for now so they can focus solely on rehab permits in the aftermath of the hurricane. The hurricane exacerbated the already long permitting timelines but the city was working on hiring more inspectors and others in the building department to keep up with the building boom we've seen over the last several years. 

John R Wood Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 18 2022, 14:57
Quote from @Robert Liu:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with some insights and experiences they have had with delta build services for building new homes in Cape Coral. I was referred to them from a turnkey company. Thank you. 

I have been in contract with them since Sep 2021 and have not had a good experience. I would not recommend them to any investors. A few issues I have faced:
1. They took 3 months to file for the permits despite having all my paperwork in less than two weeks. I am not talking about the time to get permits approved because it is not in their control, only talking about the time it took them to get the paperwork submitted.
2. Their communication can be described at best as mechanical. They don’t answer any specific questions you have. For example they won’t tell me my estimated completion date even after 14 months under contract.
3. Their owner is very aggressive and combative if you escalate any issues. They don’t believe in good customer service.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 21 2022, 04:48

I am currently in the process, and won't give specific input, as the project isn't far enough along to give reliable information, on my end.
As others have mentioned, expect permitting in general to be a long process in Cape Coral.  From what I've seen, new construction in the area is often estimated from various sources to take 16+ months including permit timelines.

User Stats

Votes
David Vanlandingham
  • Investor
  • Orlando FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando FL
Replied Nov 21 2022, 10:13
Quote from @Pretty Khare:
Quote from @Robert Liu:

I have been in contract with them since Sep 2021 and have not had a good experience. I would not recommend them to any investors. A few issues I have faced:
1. They took 3 months to file for the permits despite having all my paperwork in less than two weeks. I am not talking about the time to get permits approved because it is not in their control, only talking about the time it took them to get the paperwork submitted.
2. Their communication can be described at best as mechanical. They don’t answer any specific questions you have. For example they won’t tell me my estimated completion date even after 14 months under contract.
3. Their owner is very aggressive and combative if you escalate any issues. They don’t believe in good customer service.

Pretty,  as others have stated here, the permitting process through the City of Cape Coral has been hindered by their ability to scale up their staff to handle the massive demands for all permitting including new construction but also anything else that requires a permit, home improvements, sea walls, alternative sea walls, pools and more.

From your post, I can see that you are frustrated, and I believe some of that is due to not understanding the steps and processes of new construction, including what must be done prior to submitting permits. Once your build contract is signed and the build deposit is received, it's not just a matter of filling out some simple paperwork to start the permitting process. See below:

Survey (8-10 weeks)

Request Permit Prints from Design Team (4-6 weeks)

Site Plan and Septic Design from Design Engineers. (6-8 weeks) Need survey back to start designs as this is site specific

Energy Docs (1-2 weeks) Need plans from Design Team to make request.

Zoning Review by Entity (typical 4-8 weeks) Need completed design package to submit.

Permitting (8-16 weeks) Need completed design package to submit.

Approved Septic System Design from Lee Health Department (8-12 Weeks)

The clock for the commencement of construction starts once the slab is poured and approved by the city inspectors, this is detailed in Section 8 of your build contract. Your slab was poured on 7/15/22. Keep in mind, we did have a 37-day delay due to Hurricane Ian which impacted the build timeline as well as the entire region. The area was without power, materials were delayed in reaching job sites and the city inspectors were not at full capacity as the City was shut down as well.

At this point, your build is coming right along as we are waiting on trusses – as you already know. You should also have mentioned that there have been zero escalations in your contract (Section 14). Please review the entire build contract to make sure you understand each section. Any time you are looking for updates to your build, we have a dedicated email for you to send requests to – we ask for 72 hours to respond because we have many builds, clients, permits, jobs, etc. that we are tracking and working with on a daily basis– and of course we value every relationship. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 21 2022, 10:50
Quote from @David Vanlandingham:
Quote from @Robert Liu:

Pretty,  as others have stated here, the permitting process through the City of Cape Coral has been hindered by their ability to scale up their staff to handle the massive demands for all permitting including new construction but also anything else that requires a permit, home improvements, sea walls, alternative sea walls, pools and more.

From your post, I can see that you are frustrated, and I believe some of that is due to not understanding the steps and processes of new construction, including what must be done prior to submitting permits. Once your build contract is signed and the build deposit is received, it's not just a matter of filling out some simple paperwork to start the permitting process. See below:

Survey (8-10 weeks)

Site Plan and Septic Design from Design Engineers. (6-8 weeks) Need survey back to start designs as this is site specific

Zoning Review by Entity (typical 4-8 weeks) Need completed design package to submit.

The clock for the commencement of construction starts once the slab is poured and approved by the city inspectors, this is detailed in Section 8 of your build contract. Your slab was poured on 7/15/22. Keep in mind, we did have a 37-day delay due to Hurricane Ian which impacted the build timeline as well as the entire region. The area was without power, materials were delayed in reaching job sites and the city inspectors were not at full capacity as the City was shut down as well.

At this point, your build is coming right along as we are waiting on trusses – as you already know. You should also have mentioned that there have been zero escalations in your contract (Section 14). Please review the entire build contract to make sure you understand each section. Any time you are looking for updates to your build, we have a dedicated email for you to send requests to – we ask for 72 hours to respond because we have many builds, clients, permits, jobs, etc. that we are tracking and working with on a daily basis– and of course we value every relationship. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

David thanks for your clarification on the permitting process and timeline. I will DM you with specific questions about my property.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Wight
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Nov 21 2022, 17:41

For me, the permitting process with Delta went well. But after permitting, there have been many delays. Here's my overall timeline:

1. July 2021 - Signed contract
  2. Aug 2021 - Delta submitted permits
  3. Oct 2021 - Permits approved
  4. March 2022 - Slab completed. Property expected to be completed 6 months later in September.
  5. May 2022 - Concrete block delivered. Expecting to go vertical the next week.
  6. Sep 2022 - Just starting to go vertical with the concrete block walls.

So basically from March-Sep, there was almost no progress made, when it was expected to have it completed within that 6 month timeframe.

Sep 28th - Hurricane hit. Walls were not far enough along to be stabilized, so the wind knocked them down.

Nov 21st - New block not delivered yet. Owner expects it any day now, and says things will go quickly, framing done in the next 2-3 weeks, and expects it to be completely done by March 2023.

Delta's pricing is very attractive. I've walked their properties in-person, and their build quality is good. I flew out and met their owner Ron, sales guy Eric, and some more of their office staff. I got along well with them.

Some reasons for delay are valid, and I've tried to be patient. Once my property is complete, I think I'll be in a great equity position. I've referred many people to Delta in the past. But unfortunately at the moment I cannot recommend them until I see some real progress on my property. 

Feel free to message me separately. In particular, you might be interested to @mention me or PM me in a few weeks to get an update on my build progress. If I see progress soon I'd be more inclined to recommend them.

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 21 2022, 18:11
Quote from @Jordan Wight:

For me, the permitting process with Delta went well. But after permitting, there have been many delays. Here's my overall timeline:

1. July 2021 - Signed contract
  2. Aug 2021 - Delta submitted permits
  3. Oct 2021 - Permits approved
  4. March 2022 - Slab completed. Property expected to be completed 6 months later in September.
  5. May 2022 - Concrete block delivered. Expecting to go vertical the next week.
  6. Sep 2022 - Just starting to go vertical with the concrete block walls.

So basically from March-Sep, there was almost no progress made, when it was expected to have it completed within that 6 month timeframe.

Sep 28th - Hurricane hit. Walls were not far enough along to be stabilized, so the wind knocked them down.

Nov 21st - New block not delivered yet. Owner expects it any day now, and says things will go quickly, framing done in the next 2-3 weeks, and expects it to be completely done by March 2023.

Delta's pricing is very attractive. I've walked their properties in-person, and their build quality is good. I flew out and met their owner Ron, sales guy Eric, and some more of their office staff. I got along well with them.

Some reasons for delay are valid, and I've tried to be patient. Once my property is complete, I think I'll be in a great equity position. I've referred many people to Delta in the past. But unfortunately at the moment I cannot recommend them until I see some real progress on my property. 

Feel free to message me separately. In particular, you might be interested to @mention me or PM me in a few weeks to get an update on my build progress. If I see progress soon I'd be more inclined to recommend them.

I think this is a fair review and I have had a similar experience, although it took them 3 months to submit my permit while it took only one month on your case. I would acknowledge the price has been attractive and there has been no escalation in costs so far, however long wait times even after permitting is completed coupled with lack of transparent communication and doesn’t provide much confidence to investors. 

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 10 2022, 22:21
Quote from @Robert Liu:

Survey (8-10 weeks)

I wanted to update that David was very prompt in answering my questions and helped improve my overall experience with Delta group. I have been told that my house should be ready by March or April of 2023. I will keep posting the status on this thread from time to time.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Ascough
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Forked River, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Replied Jan 6 2023, 13:55

@David Vanlandingham Are you still working for / with Delta? Would love your input for my situation with the company. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Wight
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 6 2023, 14:05

As an update from my end, since my concrete block walls were knocked down in Hurricane Ian, today I finally found out that new block was delivered put back up and the Tie-Beam is being formed to be poured. Delta has not charged me extra for the new block. I am optimistic about things getting moving now.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 6 2023, 14:17

As an update from my end, since my concrete block walls were knocked down in Hurricane Ian, today I finally found out that new block was delivered put back up and the Tie-Beam is being formed to be poured. Delta has not charged me extra for the new block. I am optimistic about things getting moving now.

Great news Jordan, thank you for updating us!

User Stats

Votes
Mekail Grant
  • Investor
  • Carson, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Carson, CA
Replied Jan 6 2023, 14:55
Quote from @Robert Liu:

Survey (8-10 weeks)

I wanted to update that David was very prompt in answering my questions and helped improve my overall experience with Delta group. I have been told that my house should be ready by March or April of 2023. I will keep posting the status on this thread from time to time.

Have you had any updates?

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 6 2023, 15:04
Quote from @Mekail Grant:
Quote from @Robert Liu:

Survey (8-10 weeks)

Have you had any updates?

Unfortunately @David Vanlandingham who responded to my post above has left Delta. I got my December updates and there has been very little new construction since the November update. Very difficult to see in the pictures what has been built in a month. They do not send periodic updates and you have to keep asking them for an update every month. Also they just send one picture along with the written update. Still no guidance from builder on when the house will be complete. Very disappointed.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Ascough
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Replied Jan 6 2023, 16:19

Thats great. Glad you are making some head way with your build!

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Ascough
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Replied Jan 6 2023, 16:23

@Pretty Khare Sorry to hear they have you waiting around but happy to hear that someone has at least started.  I signed a cash contract in mid 2021. Still in permitting.... 

User Stats

Votes
Rong Tan
Votes |
Quote from @Jeffrey Ascough:

@Pretty Khare Sorry to hear they have you waiting around but happy to hear that someone has at least started.  I signed a cash contract in mid 2021. Still in permitting.... 

Thats BS Damn

User Stats

Votes
Marlo Lopez
Pro Member
  • Seattle
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle
Replied Jan 7 2023, 01:30
Quote from @Rong Tan:
Quote from @Jeffrey Ascough:

Thats BS Damn

This was a helpful thread. Thanks everyone for sharing. I’m grown skeptical of Delta this past year, hasn’t been easy. 

Wondering if anyone got a new contract from Delta asking for a larger deposit amount? For me, I signed my builders contract with Delta in Feb ‘22, and paid the deposit. It took 9 months for permits to be approved but during that time they had to resubmit permits because one of them did not get a approved. It apparently sat with Delta for 3-4 months before it was resubmitted for review and I had to follow up with them several times for them to resubmit. Also during that time, they said I couldn’t work with my lender and said I had to use one of their “approved” lenders. I’m now working with a lender and terms are much different and costly. 

Delta is now asking me to sign a new contract with a larger deposit amount (double the amount). As mentioned earlier, we have a signed and notarized contract with financing terms in place. I don’t agree to sign a new contract with this larger deposit. 

Wondering if anyone else is going through this or similar? And if so, what did you end up doing? Thanks in advance and GL with your builds!  

User Stats

Votes
Eric Winkler
  • Specialist
  • United States
Votes |
  • Specialist
  • United States
Replied Jan 7 2023, 08:08

@Jeffrey Ascough - I am the director of sales and marketing for Delta - I have reached out to the builder and we will provide you with updates on Monday when the office and the permitting team is back in.  We want to move projects forward just as badly as you do as it is the only way we make a profit in this business.  I will reply to you directly via email Monday.

@Marlo Lopez - nice to meet you.  However, what you are stating is a bit misleading.  The lender that you were working with isn't funding deals.  The deposit amount when working with a lender comes from the lender - it is basically the amount of skin the lender wants you to have in the game.  Typically we (the builder) require 15% down on our contracts.  For those investors using lending we allow 10% down - this is to help offset other fees you will have to pay - points, broker fees, etc.  You also failed to mention that the new contract price was exactly the same as the one you previously signed.  Construction costs have gone up in SW FL - but we still have not pushed that onto our investors - leaving you a very nice return on your investment.

@Pretty Khare - hello again - I have worked with you through this entire process - we have corresponded on several occasions.  We just updated you on 12/21/2022 that your project is at tie beam inspections and provided you with the photo of your property to show the progress.  If you have questions or concerns about the project, reach out to me!

@Mekail Grant - hello again!  I haven't seen any communication lately from you - however - I will have my team get an update to you on Monday as well!

Bottom line - there have been a number of challenges in Cape Coral over the last couple of years.  We can start with permitting - between software upgrades / changes - reviewers that have rejected plans because of a slope in a shower on a mastered plan, the sheer volume of builds the city has been dealing with - it's been taking much longer than anticipated.  Add Hurricane Ian and you're not making anything easier or more timely.  Our truss company got hit with the hurricane as well - they lost a portion of their building and had issues with power for 2 months.  This halts production for anyone that is that far along - you can't just pick up trusses at your local hardware store - they are engineered for the job via the plans.  They are up and running again, but this pushed jobs back.  Same with fill dirt - they can't deliver mud to locations, and we can't compact it nor test it.  Just trying to offer insight to what has been going on in our world.  Additionally, no investor has received an escalation - which is good for your investment and if you look at some of the rates of returns (some folks are into their builds roughly 60-70k out of pocket, and have over $150k equity - amazing return over most investments) - even though it took longer than any of us expected - there is a lot of positive to talk about.  Feel free to message me directly with any concerns and/or questions you may have.  We look forward to working with you and pushing these properties over the finish line - that's how we all win!

User Stats

Votes
Mekail Grant
  • Investor
  • Carson, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Carson, CA
Replied Jan 7 2023, 11:18

Thank You Eric for the insight! 

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey Ascough
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Forked River, NJ
Replied Jan 8 2023, 17:03

@Eric Winkler Thank you for your post and an explanation for some of what has been going on. I look forward to hearing from you via email  or if possible, I'd really prefer a phone call.  I have tried to get someone on the phone to discuss this for months to no avail.  I understand the policy is to email permitting for updates but after 13 months of permits, 19 months after I sent in $36,000,  I think I've earned another quick phone call.  I do have a good idea of what you will explain to me regarding my permit as I have been in constant contact with permit coordinators and reviewers alike however, I am eager to hear if there is anything new that I haven't found out on my own.  I have been able to find out a lot of information from them, some in line with what I've been told elsewhere and some directly contrary.  Looking forward to discussing more of this in private. Thank you. 

User Stats

Votes
Pretty Khare
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 8 2023, 20:17
Quote from @Eric Winkler:

@Jeffrey Ascough - I am the director of sales and marketing for Delta - I have reached out to the builder and we will provide you with updates on Monday when the office and the permitting team is back in.  We want to move projects forward just as badly as you do as it is the only way we make a profit in this business.  I will reply to you directly via email Monday.

@Marlo Lopez - nice to meet you.  However, what you are stating is a bit misleading.  The lender that you were working with isn't funding deals.  The deposit amount when working with a lender comes from the lender - it is basically the amount of skin the lender wants you to have in the game.  Typically we (the builder) require 15% down on our contracts.  For those investors using lending we allow 10% down - this is to help offset other fees you will have to pay - points, broker fees, etc.  You also failed to mention that the new contract price was exactly the same as the one you previously signed.  Construction costs have gone up in SW FL - but we still have not pushed that onto our investors - leaving you a very nice return on your investment.

@Pretty Khare - hello again - I have worked with you through this entire process - we have corresponded on several occasions.  We just updated you on 12/21/2022 that your project is at tie beam inspections and provided you with the photo of your property to show the progress.  If you have questions or concerns about the project, reach out to me!

@Mekail Grant - hello again!  I haven't seen any communication lately from you - however - I will have my team get an update to you on Monday as well!

Bottom line - there have been a number of challenges in Cape Coral over the last couple of years.  We can start with permitting - between software upgrades / changes - reviewers that have rejected plans because of a slope in a shower on a mastered plan, the sheer volume of builds the city has been dealing with - it's been taking much longer than anticipated.  Add Hurricane Ian and you're not making anything easier or more timely.  Our truss company got hit with the hurricane as well - they lost a portion of their building and had issues with power for 2 months.  This halts production for anyone that is that far along - you can't just pick up trusses at your local hardware store - they are engineered for the job via the plans.  They are up and running again, but this pushed jobs back.  Same with fill dirt - they can't deliver mud to locations, and we can't compact it nor test it.  Just trying to offer insight to what has been going on in our world.  Additionally, no investor has received an escalation - which is good for your investment and if you look at some of the rates of returns (some folks are into their builds roughly 60-70k out of pocket, and have over $150k equity - amazing return over most investments) - even though it took longer than any of us expected - there is a lot of positive to talk about.  Feel free to message me directly with any concerns and/or questions you may have.  We look forward to working with you and pushing these properties over the finish line - that's how we all win!

Thanks for responding Eric. The irony is that the information you provided on this forum post is more detailed than what I get from your construction team. Many of the problems I hear on this forum and in personal messages to me from other investors can be solved through more frequent and detailed communication.

I have multiple emails to the construction project manager asking for an estimated completion date that have gone unresponded. If you could find that for me and email me that would be much appreciated. Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Whitney Breedlove
  • Clear Lake, TX
Votes |
  • Clear Lake, TX
Replied Jan 9 2023, 10:59

Thanks everyone for posting yall's progress. Let me know what you hear when you get your updates!

I'm also building a house with Delta. I received permits at the end of October and waiting for them to scrap my lot currently.

User Stats

Votes
Bernard Joseph S.
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Jan 9 2023, 19:00

Got an email from them today about new builds in Lehigh Acres. I like new construction but all this negative feedback about Delta is a turnoff. I know first hand the permitting in Cape Coral is horrendous but what about over in Lehigh? Lee County for both but I’d imagine it’s gotta move faster. Any insight?