Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dishion
Votes |
Renting out townhouse in northern VA

Tommy Dishion
Posted Nov 25 2022, 13:33

Considering downsizing to a cheaper condo in the northern Virginia area and renting out my current townhouse. Would have a negative cash flow on the month but would save 700-800 a month on my budget? Would I have trouble renting a townhouse a 1500 square feet townhouse for 2400 near the beltway?

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 14:52

Hey Tommy, 

It depends on how the townhome looks and where exactly is but that price point should be right on target. Townhomes in Burke - Springfield - South Alexandria go for around $2400 - $2900. A little northern and also close to the beltway Annandale, Fairfax, etc they are closer to $3000 or in the low $3000. Best way is to see the rented comps in the same community. Hope it helps.

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 14:52

Adding to the above it should be rented in under 30 days.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dishion
Votes |
Replied Nov 25 2022, 15:29

Thank you for the reply Joaquin! That was my largest concern, was how quickly I’d get it rented out, especially during the holiday season.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Nov 25 2022, 15:41

Where specifically. Neat the beltway could be old town Alexandria, could be Annandale, could be Fairfax or Falls Church etc.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dishion
Votes |
Replied Nov 25 2022, 15:43

West Springfield! Thank you for the reply!

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:54

Definitely not. If you want to get a feel of the demand, post it on facebook marketplace and see the response you get. If you get more than 15-20 requests, you should be fine. Also, look on bigger pockets rent estimator and see what rent you can get in the area. Also, look on zillow.com to see the rentals in your area to determine the demand. 

User Stats

Votes
John McKee
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Nov 26 2022, 13:35

No clue but just wanted to give you a local shout out.  Sounds like a good plan to save $800! Perhaps you will come out ahead if your only in the negative of say $400 in the old place?  It's all about perspective on the numbers

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Dishion
Votes |
Replied Nov 27 2022, 17:56
thanks for the shoutout John!

Quote from @John McKee:

No clue but just wanted to give you a local shout out.  Sounds like a good plan to save $800! Perhaps you will come out ahead if your only in the negative of say $400 in the old place?  It's all about perspective on the numbersy

User Stats

Votes
Mike Webber
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Reston, VA
Replied Dec 12 2022, 06:46

I don't think you would have a problem renting it in West Springfield. I have clients right now looking in that area. As somebody else said, facebook marketplace and Zillow are great places to see how much demand there is for it. I'd be happy to take a look at recent comps and let you know my feelings. I'm of the mind that if your budget allows for you to hold on to a property, hold it. It will be a cash cow for you later in life. All of the investors I look up to in our area have homes they've held for 10+ years and they are absolutely crushing it.