• New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Want to find out the estimated value on a property I plan to sell

Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Nov 29 2022, 13:23

Hello – I will be in possession soon of a property that I plan to sell. Of course, I can see the estimated value on redfin, Zillow… But I think they are not taking into consideration the fact that the two homes on the property really just need to be torn down!  is there anyone on here who would be willing to give me their opinion? 
Thank you so much!

Lisa

User Stats

Votes
Jacob St. Martin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charlottesville VA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 14:01

Hello Lisa zillow and redfin estimates can be really off, especially when you are talking about properties in rough shape. What I would do is look at your city's tax assessment website. There you will be able to find both the total tax assessed value and the value of the improvements. Normally these values are a good bit lower than they would actually sell for (like 10-20%) but it will give you an estimate. Then I would subtract the tear down cost to get the actual value someone might be willing to pay. However, probably the best thing you can do is talk to an agent in your area who deals with land sales. 

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 14:05

Okay, will do!! Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it!

Lisa

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 29 2022, 14:11

If you "know" the properties need to be torn down, then start getting estimates for demolition now for removal. Start talking to zoning lawyers now about getting the resulting vacant lot rezoned for maximum density (which becomes a proxy for maximum value) -- usually some sort of multi-family structure. Then start talking to real estate agents about a marketing plan when all is said and done for the now-vacant, rezoned, lot.

Then demolish the property and get it rezoned. Your goal is to give others turn-key potential: They can immediately start construction of their dreams, so they won't discount the wait -- there won't be one.

Know your budget and keep copies of everyone's estimates. That way you can help persuade buyers as to the true cost of their plans and coax them to maximize their offers.

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 14:18

Whew! That's a lot, but I will look into that for sure! I know they are building brand new townhomes all around this lot right now!

I cannot thank you enough, John! That is so helpful! 
God bless!

Lisa 

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 15:03

Hello again John - can I ask you another question please?? After chewing on this for a bit I realize I do not have the funds to pay for the zoning lawyer, zoning, and demolition, so do I just get estimates for these services, and then subtract that dollar amount from my asking price? Is it that simple? And also I am curious if you think my estimates would be accurate, or do people in the biz know people, and they get discounts on these services… 

Any more input at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Lisa

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 15:19

Hello- Can anyone help me with the site for tax assessment for a property? When it states 'market land value', that is only the land, correct? What does market improvement value stand for? I also see numbers pending for 2023. Are those normally pretty accurate? 

Thank you so much!!

User Stats

Votes
James Dainard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 14:35
Quote from @Lisa R.:

Hello – I will be in possession soon of a property that I plan to sell. Of course, I can see the estimated value on redfin, Zillow… But I think they are not taking into consideration the fact that the two homes on the property really just need to be torn down!  is there anyone on here who would be willing to give me their opinion? 
Thank you so much!

Lisa

Hey Lisa!

You want to check the zoning of the lot. That's going to give you the best idea of what the land value is.

If you're in Seattle it'll likely be SFR, LR, or RSL zoning. You mentioned they're building townhouses nearby which makes me think that you might be in an LR area.

You can check the Seattle zoning code here.

You can check the newly built comps in the area and use 1/4-1/3 of their value to approximate land value. This is a very general rule of thumb and you should be using comps to help guide your decision.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you've got any other questions!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 15:19

@Lisa R....sounds like the  value  will be  just the land  ...there  will be a  lot of  variables that  will  go into an accurate  valuation ...I would recommend getting a  value  opinion  from a local realtor that is  familar with the area and with  land / lot sales  ..this sounds like  a possible  good  opportunity for an investor ...let me know if you would like  a  referal for a  realtor  or  if you have any other questions as  I am in Seattle 

User Stats

Votes
Brie Groves
  • Realtor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 16:58

@Lisa R. I'm a Seattle Realtor and would be happy to help with your questions- please feel free to contact me if you still need assistance!

~Brie

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 17:55

Okay, thank you Dave for that valuBle info! I have contacted one. Thanks for your help :)

Take care,

Lisa

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 18:03

Okay, thank you Dave for that valuable info! I have contacted one. Thanks for your help :)

Take care,

Lisa

User Stats

Votes
Lisa R.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Dec 1 2022, 21:23

Thank you so much for that useful information! I will definitely contact you again if I have any questions!

Lisa Braaten

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 1 2022, 22:12

Hire a realtor, don't list your self. Especially if you don't know what the house is worth 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Haas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Seattle Investor: 80 Client HouseHacks & Counting! I Own: 🏠7 LTRs 🗻6 STRs, 🏘️3 DADU's
Replied Dec 2 2022, 15:19

Hi Lisa - I'm an investor and developer, I'd love to run some numbers on your property with you and give you an offer. Best case scenario I can buy your property, worse case scenario you can see how I evaluate and value properties and take that information to be better informed about what your property may be worth! Just shot you a message :).