User Stats

Votes
Bill Rogers
Votes |
Subject to Deal!!!

Bill Rogers
Posted Jan 24 2023, 12:54

Sub to question:

There's this house that has about 85,000 in equity but its been sitting on the market since August. What I was thinking was offering him $60,000 and taking over his mortgage at 2.9%. Would he have to pay tax on the $60,000 that I pay him? Are there ways around it? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 02:22
Quote from @Bill Rogers:

Sub to question:

There's this house that has about 85,000 in equity but it’s been sitting on the market since August. What I was thinking was offering him $60,000 and taking over his mortgage at 2.9%. Would he have to pay tax on the $60,000 that I pay him? Are there ways around it? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

If this house qualifies as his primary residence he will not have to pay a capital gains tax.  If not it would depend on his “tax basis” in the asset.  To make this determination one would have to know the price the seller paid for the property, any amount he paid out that represents “capitalized costs” rather than being expensed, and the amount of depreciation taken.  

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 06:45

Yes he would, unless it was homesteaded. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes