• Los Angeles
Votes |
Indianapolis vs Cincinnati vs Cleveland - First time investor

Amy Mitchell
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jan 26 2023, 09:12

Hi Guys,

I'm a new/first-time investor looking to get my first investment property, but I'm having a difficult time deciding between 3 markets. I'm considering Indianapolis (near fountain square), Cincinnati, or Cleveland. If I invest in Cleveland I would only be interested in small multifamily properties, for Indy and Cincy I would be looking to invest in single-family homes which I would turn into STR or MTR. Any info from anyone investing in these markets would be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Gloria N Gear
  • Realtor
  • Indianapolis IN
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Indianapolis IN
Replied Mar 9 2023, 05:38

Hi @Amy Mitchell --- I actually am part of @Becca F. team in Indianapolis.  I am an investor myself and have worked with OOS investors for 6 years now.  I like to start with a phone conversation just to get to know each other.  I will listen to your exact strategy and let you know where in Indianapolis I think that strategy would work.  And then I will help you build your team.  Different property managers, contractors, and lenders work better for your needs, personality, and the property & area you choose.  I will send you a list of recommendations.  I will PM you all my info, but let's have a conversation -- it doesn't obligate you to work with me, but hopefully will give you some education about Indy.

User Stats

Votes
John Clevenger
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 9 2023, 07:40

@Amy Mitchell

Clearly both Gloria and I are biased however when you look at the broad metrics of the Indy area comparative to other markets I believe it is the most well rounded. I've outlined below some of the noteworthy things that would be pertinent to your decision on our area. 

• - Median sale price is 230k as of Feb. 
  • - Indianapolis has rent rates climbing at the fastest rate in the nation (+8%)
  • - 3rd highest YoY rent growth since last year of the same time. (14.85%)
  • - Unemployment rate of 2.2%
  • - IU Healthcare (near Northside) announced in January a 4.3B expansion
  • - Mayor Joe Hogsett announced in January $80M to Indianapolis parks. And $190M in facility upgrades
  • - 16 Tech Innovation District
    • - A mixed-use 60-acre development including advanced technologies innovation district, including offices, research laboratories, parking garage, housing and retail space plus parks, walking paths and other amenities
  • - Elanco (Animal health Leader and spinoff of Eli Lilly) building their new $100mil headquarters just south of the Indianapolis Zoo
  • - Indy Eleven Investing over 1 Billion in the development of their new Eleven Park. A mixed use development project including their new soccer stadium (over 20 acres)
  • I'd advise doing your own due diligence but I'm a die hard believer in Indy and think others will grow to believe the same as time progresses. 
  • I'll send over some contacts you may find helpful now. Let me know if you have any questions or want to hop on a call! I'm sure Gloria or I will be able to help you through whatever you need here in Indy!
  • Good luck!
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Mar 9 2023, 09:39

@Amy Mitchell
Cleveland is a great market for cashflow. Just be aware of what neighborhood you are in. The area it can change pretty fast and POS are kind of a pain.  

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 9 2023, 13:25

@Amy Mitchell I've been active in Indianapolis for over 10 years so I might be a little biased, but if you compare the economic and demographic trends of these markets, you'll see that Indianapolis is much stronger than the other two. Indy has a growing population, growing jobs and a modern/diverse economy which is all important to the long term value and returns on your investment. Personally, I would have Indy on the top of that list. Feel free to reach out if you'd like more insights. 

User Stats

Votes
Jack Krusinski
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Mar 9 2023, 14:39

Amy, I would first recommend identifying your real estate goals. Are you more focused on cash flow, appreciation, or a hybrid of both? Then start underwriting properties in each Market to see what performs the best for your goals. 

Cleveland is a great hybrid market for cash flow and appreciation. It offers a variety of jobs, but it is health care based. Also, something to consider is inventory in each market. You want to make sure that whatever your buy box is, is that your market offers inventory of that investment. 

21 Hill Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Looman
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 27 2023, 07:51

This is an awesome question that definitely takes multiple peoples input to weigh both markets. 

I read in this forum that taxes in Cleveland may be higher than that of Indianapolis but a lot of people tend to neglect the Akron market area. It's a half hour south of Cleveland proper with a population of 200k, a major engineering university, opportunity for STR with multiple hospitals in the area as well as less community guidelines such as point of sale or multifamily lead surface testing.

Tons of revitalization programs are committed for the next 10 years with some of them completed in the past 5. The rubber city is definitely a place to find good cap and equity return in the future.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Jones
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Mar 28 2023, 12:51

Hi Amy,  I can be a resource in Indy as well.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  

PMI Midwest Logo

User Stats

Votes
Lauren Perry
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Apr 5 2023, 13:02

Hi Amy, 

I began investing in Indy remotely from the west coast back in 2019 and have since moved to the area. Over the past 4 years, I've had success with flips, BRRRRs, short-term rentals, SF and small/mid-size multi-family properties. Lots of opportunity here, just depends on your strategy and goals. I'd love to help answer any questions you have about the market so feel free to reach out anytime. 

Best,
Lauren

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 15 2023, 05:47

I'm new to the BiggerPocket's forum. This is a great thread.  Thanks for sharing, everyone. I am interested in the outcome. @Amy Mitchell do you have any follow-up or information to share concerning the Indy, Cincy markets? 

User Stats

Votes
Lalit R.
  • Toronto, ON
Votes |
  • Toronto, ON
Replied Sep 15 2023, 10:26
Quote from @Jake Browning:

Cincinnati is a great area to invest. I know an outstanding agent in that area who will be able to point you in the direction you're looking for. He lives in Cincinnati and works solely with Bp investors. I'll Pm his information.

Can you please share the agents details.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Browning
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Pierce, FL
Replied Sep 15 2023, 10:32
Quote from @Lalit R.:
Quote from @Jake Browning:

Cincinnati is a great area to invest. I know an outstanding agent in that area who will be able to point you in the direction you're looking for. He lives in Cincinnati and works solely with Bp investors. I'll Pm his information.

Can you please share the agents details.

I just DMed you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 15 2023, 15:57

Personally I am investing in Indianapolis. 

If you want to compare returns, you can use Doorhacker chrome extension for Zillow.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 15 2023, 15:59
Quote from @Amy Mitchell:
Quote from @Becca F.:

@Amy Mitchell

I'm in California (Bay Area) and it's really difficult to buy here at these price points and cash flow positive (more like negative) now so I'm focusing out-of-state. I have a SFH in the Indianapolis metro area (suburb in class A neighborhood) but I bought it almost 10 years ago (used to live there). Depending on what county you're looking at, Hamilton County property tax rates are much higher for investors than primary home owners, 2.771% vs. 1.08%. I really like Carmel, Westfield, Noblesville and Fishers from an appreciation perspective, nice suburbs with good schools, but the prices are high now. My property taxes went up significantly which reduced my cash flow but my tenants are paying down my mortgage and I bought it for low price and low interest rate so I'm keeping the house

I'm looking in Indianapolis (Marion County) but I'm trying to narrow down the areas - I'm communicating with an investor friendly realtor. Being inside the 465 circle and the East side usually has lower priced homes than the West and North sides. I considered the Fountain Square area. I'm looking for SFH or duplexes (which seem to be rare), heavily leaning towards turn key or something with minor rehab (cosmetic work). I have a partial team in place for Indy: property manager, handyman, painter, roofing company in place, no contractor (yet). I'm also looking at Cincinnati.

Hi Becca,

How did you find your partial team for Indy? Have you had any luck finding any properties in Indy so far?

I have been investing in Indy since 2022. 4 houses to date. Also coded DoorHacker chrome extension for Zillow to screen through highest returns

User Stats

Votes
Amy Mitchell
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Sep 15 2023, 17:19
Quote from @Natalia Kubik-Mackowiak:
Quote from @Amy Mitchell:
Quote from @Becca F.:

@Amy Mitchell

I'm in California (Bay Area) and it's really difficult to buy here at these price points and cash flow positive (more like negative) now so I'm focusing out-of-state. I have a SFH in the Indianapolis metro area (suburb in class A neighborhood) but I bought it almost 10 years ago (used to live there). Depending on what county you're looking at, Hamilton County property tax rates are much higher for investors than primary home owners, 2.771% vs. 1.08%. I really like Carmel, Westfield, Noblesville and Fishers from an appreciation perspective, nice suburbs with good schools, but the prices are high now. My property taxes went up significantly which reduced my cash flow but my tenants are paying down my mortgage and I bought it for low price and low interest rate so I'm keeping the house

I'm looking in Indianapolis (Marion County) but I'm trying to narrow down the areas - I'm communicating with an investor friendly realtor. Being inside the 465 circle and the East side usually has lower priced homes than the West and North sides. I considered the Fountain Square area. I'm looking for SFH or duplexes (which seem to be rare), heavily leaning towards turn key or something with minor rehab (cosmetic work). I have a partial team in place for Indy: property manager, handyman, painter, roofing company in place, no contractor (yet). I'm also looking at Cincinnati.

Hi Becca,

How did you find your partial team for Indy? Have you had any luck finding any properties in Indy so far?

I have been investing in Indy since 2022. 4 houses to date. Also coded DoorHacker chrome extension for Zillow to screen through highest returns

Hi Natalia -Mind if I send you a PM?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 20 2023, 15:59

Sure thing!