Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Vivi Liu
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Is it a good time to buy a primary residence property in Melbourne, FL?

Vivi Liu
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jan 28 2023, 12:33

Hello,

Due to my work relocation, I have to move to Melbourne, FL. Is it a good time to buy a house now? Not sure if I need to wait until the end of this year. 

I saw a 4700 sq ft house with two car garages, is it normally in Melbourne, FL?  In Texas, with that size house, it usually goes with 3 car garages. 

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Burch
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • orlando, FL
Replied Jan 28 2023, 13:27

What are the specific reasons for your doubt? Yes, we are in a buyer's market. And yes financing is more expensive than in the summer of 2022. Sure, there is some uncertainty about the direction of housing prices.

If I was in your shoes, id be less concerned with the macroeconomics and more concerned with the local economics of your housing market ie Melbourne, FL.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jan 28 2023, 13:27

Hi Vivi,

I would not wait because as soon as it starts to warm up here in Florida we tend to see a lot of buyer activity pick up.  Which means there was a samll dip in home sales from November through January but that will soon be over here in FL.  I would try and come in now and make an offer because there are a lot homes that rolled over from 2022.  That means there are more than a handful of stressed sellers wanting  to avoid any other dips in the market.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dana Weis
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 28 2023, 13:56

Hi Vivi -

Not sure why you would want to wait?  It's a good time to buy because right now we don't have enough buyers so there is more inventory on the market. I'm happy to talk with you about the market if you like - I'm a local realtor. I can also point you to some great local lenders if you don't already have one that can talk you on the lending side of things. Let me know if I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jan 29 2023, 07:38

I also would make offers now.  We have been seeing more "smart money" in the area with larger building projects popping up over the past 2 years.  New home builders have been pinched with the short term higher interest rates, and it may be a good time to make an offer and get points buy down on your loan from builders.  Watch the HOAs in Brevard; Suntree layers on several HOAs and that makes the area much more expensive on a monthly basis. 

We haven't seen open houses over the past few years and are seeing those now. In these spring months the local area sees a mass of retirees or potential retirees looking to buy their second homes here. My current STR guests are down from Maine and are shopping for houses.

As far as the 3 car garage, everything is bigger in Texas. :D  It isn't a common feature in the older housing stock of the area.  I have several houses on the barrier island and they are quite aged as a whole, with some larger new build infill houses (one in Indian Harbour Beach right now with the elusive 3 car garage, but priced over $1 M).

User Stats

Votes
Tchaka Owen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Replied Jan 29 2023, 08:10
Quote from @Kerry Baird:

I also would make offers now.  

I agree with Kerry, there's no need to wait. Make sure that the 4700sf home you see is truly that amount of space. We tend to have 2 numbers, one is total and the other is livable (or "under air"). Total will count Florida rooms and even garage space.

I'm going to disagree with Jason in regards to timing because the Southern part of Florida runs counter to most of the US. I spent years in S. Florida and the high activity starts in November when people start flocking down and slows a bit around April. Melbourne is considered Central Florida, however it's warm enough that it has its share of 'birds. Trying to time the market is a no-no. 

Good luck!

Tchaka

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Replied Jan 29 2023, 08:34

It's as good as time as any to buy in Florida, if you see a good opportunity go for it!

User Stats

Votes
Wendy Vaidic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indialantic, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indialantic, FL
Replied Jan 29 2023, 10:15
Hi Vivi!
Congratulations on your relocation. Brevard is a beautiful area.
Since you are relocating, you’ll need somewhere to live.  I rented for 15 months when I moved here & I wish I hadn’t.
Rents are very high here so each year you rent trying to time the market is fewer dollars you have to buy.

You are correct, 3 car garages aren’t the norm here, but there are currently 198 homes with 3 or mor car garages.  They are more plentiful in area of newer builds like Viera, and less common beachside.

I am a Realtor & would love to teach you about buying down your mortgage to reach more affordable rates or just answer any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Wendy

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Gibson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 29 2023, 18:37
Quote from @Vivi Liu:

Hello,

Due to my work relocation, I have to move to Melbourne, FL. Is it a good time to buy a house now? Not sure if I need to wait until the end of this year. 

I saw a 4700 sq ft house with two car garages, is it normally in Melbourne, FL?  In Texas, with that size house, it usually goes with 3 car garages. 

Thank you!

I don't see any good reason to wait. We're in a more stabilized market it favors buyers especially if you target properties that have been on the market for 60 days or more.

there are not too many homes that have more than a two-car garage.

GPG Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rick Wiedenhoeft
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jan 30 2023, 06:42

Hi Vivi! Melbourne has been a solidly growing community in Brevard county for more than a decade now, so buying here is extremely unlikely to be unfavorable in the near future. With the growth of Patrick Space Force Base, as well as the space industry here, you'll see more construction and plenty of resales that are likely to fit your needs. Welcome to Melbourne!

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 30 2023, 07:16

Please keep one thing in mind:  Florida isn't Texas...while Alaska is the largest state, Texas takes second place. In Florida, our land prices reflect the scarcity of available land and in comparison to Texas (and many more) is extremely high.  As far as 'is it a good time to buy,' much of Florida is in a housing crisis.  In terms of specifics:  "The Census Bureau's latest estimates show that a net total of about 320,000 Americans moved into Florida between 2021 and 2022, the largest number among the 49 states and Washington, DC."  So, if you find a property that works for you and your budget, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY.  Waiting will only cost you more.  And, unlike other states that are experiencing a 'buyer's market,' that won't be the case here where inventory remains tight (that old supply and demand thing) - while people keep moving here.  Rental prices are increasing year-over-year by more than 20% and inventory is limited as well.  Fun, huh?  

Congrats on your job relo - that usually is reserved for the best!  And, you're going to love it here.