Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes

First Time Homebuyers Looking for Advice

Posted Apr 18 2023, 10:27

Hello,

My wife and I are under contract on our first home. Our goal is to eventually either rent this home out or sell it for equity to reinvest. Either way, I have had a hard time navigating our realtor and making things that make sense to me happen and was hoping somebody would be able to give some advice. The latest thing that happened was this: our option period expired yesterday, I wanted credits and our realtor wanted us to ask for repairs. I eventually caved and took repairs plus $500 in credits. The HVAC is original and 27 years old, while getting repairs on it they told them they can’t fix it and it needs to be replaced. I told our realtor I would rather get credits and she keeps firing back with you can’t get it fixed under a home warranty and what not. I do understand her side, but I want to keep money in our bank accounts after closing and the HVAC opens up the possibility of a large credit. When it was inspected last Wednesday, the HVAC was still operational. My opinion is we should allow them to forego repairs and ask for a bigger credit like I initially wanted. I would prefer to replace the unit myself, since I then know it is not just a bottom dollar replacement. Any advice would be appreciated and I’d be happy to chat more in either a PM or phone call. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Allen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Lake Tahoe, CA
Replied Apr 18 2023, 12:28

@Johnathan Lewandowski

If your agent is not doing what you ask, talk to their broker. They are the only ones who can do anything about it.

Dustin Allen - REALTOR® Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Apr 18 2023, 13:09

Ultimately the agent works for you. She has given you her best advice but it is not her decision to make. If she keeps balking tell her this is a directive, not a request.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 18 2023, 13:28

It sounds like she is finally listening to what I am saying. This was after she told me we were lucky they were replacing the AC, I told her I would drive to the house and see if the work was in progress. She is now talking with the other realtor about the amount of credit to give in lieu of repairs. I mentioned $9k, but I am not entirely sure if this is the right amount. Am I making good decisions here or should I be talked out of what I am trying to do? We have credit lines available to pay for the HVAC and I planned to look into financing options after we close, but just want to make sure I am not going to end up over my head.