Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Mabery
Votes |
Are SFH rentals viable in San Antonio?

Nathan Mabery
Posted May 18 2023, 11:02

With rents seemingly being lower than national averages how have you made SFH work for long term rentals in San Antonio? What helps in the most in creating cash flow; location, loan program, etc? TIA

User Stats

Votes
Brad Larsen
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio and Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • San Antonio and Austin, TX
Replied May 18 2023, 12:27

@Nathan Mabery Absolutely, with population growth year over year, military, etc. SA and surrounding areas are prime locations for investments in SFR's.

All the best,

Brad

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2023, 13:17

There are opportunities for success with SFHs in San Antonio.

I would love to discuss further on a call.

I wish you all the best.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Francl
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 19 2023, 06:47

@Nathan Mabery I always recommend really digging into the market and sub-markets to make these sorts of analyses. Real estate is so hyper local and going off things happening nationally just aren't going to give you the clearest picture of what's happening in your chosen market. 

For example: We're entering peak rental time and I have a 4-unit building with a vacancy coming up. Now, national averages may be down, but when I'm running numbers for my area, I'm seeing another increase over last year's averages. So, I'll be able to comfortably add another $50/month or $600/year in cashflow via that unit's market price.

As for your question, it's just going to depend on location - primarily. Other than that, it could be some upgraded finish outs or features or possibly a mix of various lease lengths with furnishings, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 22 2023, 08:31

@Nathan Mabery I've found it to be difficult to find in decent areas unless I do a significant rehab

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Mabery
Votes |
Replied Jun 13 2023, 08:15

Thank you all for commenting! I look forward to connecting with you all and hopefully doing business in the near future

User Stats

Votes
Naz Hossain
  • Developer
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 16 2023, 23:40

San Antonio has a strong rental market with regular influx of people. You have to get creative if you want higher than usual cash flow like offering fully furnished rentals or doing STRs or providing homes to insurance agencies and such

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jul 18 2023, 07:58

San Antonio is unable to demand monthly rents as other larger markets. However, the price point to get into the market is also much less.

I question is whether these numbers meet your needs.
In my opinion, I think the cash on cash return in San Antonio is higher than most other markets.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 20 2023, 18:50

Hi Brad! I’ve got a home for sell in SA and looking for a penalty box buyer. 

Someone who can’t qualify for a traditional bank loan. 

Let me know if you have anyone in your network. We offer a $500 referral fee!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 24 2023, 12:14

If you want a large cash flow in year one, San Antonio is probably not the best market for that in terms of LTR. Most of our team's investor clients chose San Antonio because they are focusing and investing here more for rent growth and property appreciation over the course of 5-10 years. If you want more cash flow you could consider STR as those are still performing well here.

User Stats

Votes
Victoria Moreno
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio
Replied Sep 19 2023, 13:33

Very.