Commercial RE Loan Minimums

11 Replies

I'm looking at a 5-plex in a rural town for $50k. Would it be possible to obtain a loan for suck a low amount after a down payment or would this need to be a cash deal?

Yes. I just closed on a duplex for 52k a couple weeks back. Walk into local banks and introduce yourself to a loan officer. The terms I got were 5/1 amortized over 15 years with 30% down. Not the best, but for a commercial loan for only 37k not too bad @ 4.25%

Good luck

Most commercial lenders I've talked to have a minimum of $100K loan amount. Your best bet would be to call around to as many local lenders as you can and try to find one that will do a loan that small. You may have a hard time locating one and might need to do the deal all cash or find another way to finance it (hard money, private money, etc)

@Josh C. I'd like to think small town banks would be used to lending smaller amounts. Good to know this can be done. Thanks.

They're definitely out there. I just got a commercial loan on a $32k property. You will have to find a local bank though, the big ones won't do it. Just a matter of following the advice above and doing the legwork.

i am a commercial broker and i have a lender who will fund your deal.  contact me for more details.

Don at 813-344-6546 cell

A local bank would do any amount. I have borrowed as less as $18,000

Good luck

Originally posted by @James Syed:

A local bank would do any amount. I have borrowed as less as $18,000

Good luck

Would you mind sharing more details on that loan? The purchased price and terms,etc? 

@Joseph M.

Sure!

Purchase price $24,000

Loan Amount $18,000

5.25% Interest Rate

20 Year Amortization

5 Year Balloon

Hope it helps.

@James Syed

Thanks! 

It's great to know that there are lenders out there doing those loans.

Also a bit jealous that you can buy properties that cheap in your area...median home prices in L.A are now over $400,000 ...and that gets you a normal sized home in a not so great area.. 

@Joseph M.

I would like to add here that I had to spend $15,000 on rehab, plus acquisition cost was $3000 so total investment was $43,000 and it is rented now for $595 a month.

That is GRM of 6.02.

It's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath home with 1 car garage, full basement, I am sure in California, you would $1500 rent for it, but you would also have to pay much higher price.

In addition, vacancy rate in this area is about 25% and that is high, it took me 3 months after heavily advertising to get a tenant.

Hope it clarifies further.

Hi @James Syed

Thanks for clarification , yes prices would be a lot higher but vacany is pretty low . There is actually a housing shortage the city has admitted , at the same time it seems they make it so hard to develop property in the city and projects get scaled back or killed all the time .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here