Getting Started

4 Replies

Hey everyone. I'm new to the website and haven't had the chance to look around that well yet. I'm sure there are tons of posts about how to get started in the business of buying and selling real estate. I'm 20 years old and I am looking to get into the business of real estate. However, I have absolutely no idea where to go or what to do in order to get this started. I'm currently working 30+/- hours a week at a factory just to be able to afford my small one bedroom apartment. Living paycheck-to-paycheck, to say I'm struggling would be an understatement. I'm just looking for any input on how to get started. What are the first steps I have to take? What must I do? Where do I go? Who do I talk to? If I start saving some money for my first property, roughly how much will I be needing? Any help with how to fix and flip houses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

@Chris Stec Welcome! The best place to get started, is here. If you don't know what you want to do, or how to do it, then take advantage of the great podcasts, blogs and even forum posts. And then ask questions. You have found a great resource, take advantage of it.

Hey Chris,

Generally in real estate, cash is king. There are some ways to be creative and put 3.5% down on a property, but generally if you want to start buying investment type properties 20% is the general rule. Homepath properties are one way to put less down (http://www.homepath.com).

John

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.