Becoming a realtor or not?

4 Replies

I'm contemplating on becoming a realtor or not. What are the real advantages and is there any disadvantages or is it ever worth it.

Are the majority of people on bigger pockets a realtor? Just closed on my 1st deal 8 months ago looking to get about a house a year. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Yes, I'm also a Realtor. And I advise all of my students to become Realtors. Too many advantages to list. A quick search here on the forums will give you TONS of discussion on the topic.

Depends on what else you have going on!
I didn't get my license until i had been investing for 7 years. Now I'm a broker and ready to stop helping buyer 's & seller's. It is a lot of work and unless you want that to be your lifelong career I don't think it is worth it. Maintaing a license under your own company sure, if you need it!

Starting out, I would focus on investing and not agency.

Mark Updegraff, Real Estate Agent in NY (#10491205428)
(585) 314-9790

I second what @Mark Updegraff said, since you're just starting out just focus on finding deals

J Scott wrote an excellent piece covering both the advantages and disadvantages of getting a license, check it out here

You'll find both on BP, some investors love having a license others would rather not

thank you guys for the responses it helps out a bunch

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.