Becoming a realtor or not?

4 Replies

I'm contemplating on becoming a realtor or not. What are the real advantages and is there any disadvantages or is it ever worth it.

Are the majority of people on bigger pockets a realtor? Just closed on my 1st deal 8 months ago looking to get about a house a year. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Yes, I'm also a Realtor. And I advise all of my students to become Realtors. Too many advantages to list. A quick search here on the forums will give you TONS of discussion on the topic.

Depends on what else you have going on!
I didn't get my license until i had been investing for 7 years. Now I'm a broker and ready to stop helping buyer 's & seller's. It is a lot of work and unless you want that to be your lifelong career I don't think it is worth it. Maintaing a license under your own company sure, if you need it!

Starting out, I would focus on investing and not agency.

I second what @Mark Updegraff said, since you're just starting out just focus on finding deals

J Scott wrote an excellent piece covering both the advantages and disadvantages of getting a license, check it out here

You'll find both on BP, some investors love having a license others would rather not

thank you guys for the responses it helps out a bunch

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here